Hawley is uncomfortable

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Realizingadream

Hawley is uncomfortable

#1 Post by Realizingadream »

Hi. I got debraced about 3 weeks ago. I wear Essix on top, it is a clear Invisalign type thing. 24/7 for the first 6 months, and then he promised I would have to wear it just at night. It is not really a problem. I have a Hawley on the bottom, it is a pink thing with wires and my teeth aren't really covered up. I wear the Hawley at night. I could wear it all day because it doesn't hurt, but that wasn't the instruction. It actually feels a little loose. And it kind of like makes my tongue go into a funny position, my tongue kind of rolls UP and feels in the way. It is terribly distracting. I make lots of saliva and have to swallow a lot, from this Hawley. The job I have, no one has commented on my "invisalign" Essix on the top teeth. I don't have much interaction at work so I could wear the Hawley there, some, and pop it out when I come out of my cubicle-in-the-basement. I really am having a problem with the Hawley, it makes me salivate more so I'm swallowing a lot, and my tongue feels homeless. Is this a normal complaint? Is something wrong with my Hawley?

SunshineRay

Re: Hawley is uncomfortable

#2 Post by SunshineRay »

I was told today that I will be getting the Essix. Did you have any speech problems with it?

kitty snyder

#3 Post by kitty snyder »

I have an upper and lower Hawley and i feel your pain. there is so much saliva! mine are new and i was hoping it would get better and i would lose the homeless tongue feeling.

samoorelaw

#4 Post by samoorelaw »

I started out with both an upper and lower Hawley. Now I wear an Essix for the lower. While my upper Hawley is quite comfortable, I never quite got used to the lower Hawley because, as you pointed out, it feels like there is no room for your tongue, and it made me lisp: the upper Hawley does not make me lisp anymore and even when it did, it never made me lisp nearly as badly as the lower Hawley. I just wish I had gone with the lower Essix initially because 1) it's way more comfortable 2) it's not noticeable and 3) the lower Hawley clasps and labial bow caused some small gaps in my teeth!
Braces removed for 3rd and final time July 14, 2016!!!!

Permanent 8 crowns front 8 teeth (upper) January 30, 2015

Braces removed again December 3, 2014!!

Partial braces re-installation September 25, 2014

Braces removed September 4, 2014!

gramma2xander

#5 Post by gramma2xander »

I have upper and lower Hawley. I haven't had any problems with the bottom but the top ones are taking some getting used to.