Very Dissatisfied

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Noneinparticular

Very Dissatisfied

#1 Post by Noneinparticular »

What do you do if you are dissatisfied with the final result? Recently got braces off and am very dissatisfied with the vertical. Teeth are too far apart verically, especially in the front. I complained of not being able to bite using my front teeth just one week before braces were taken off, yet the ortho still took them off. Feel that the communication was lacking through the last 6 months of treatment as each time I voiced a concern the ortho over corrected or dismissed it without communicating the process. Will these front teeth erupt on their own in the settling phase? Should I just go find a new ortho, if so how much would it cost just to correct the vertical?

rocker

Re: Very Dissatisfied

#2 Post by rocker »

[quote="Noneinparticular"]What do you do if you are dissatisfied with the final result? Recently got braces off and am very dissatisfied with the vertical. Teeth are too far apart verically, especially in the front. I complained of not being able to bite using my front teeth just one week before braces were taken off, yet the ortho still took them off. Feel that the communication was lacking through the last 6 months of treatment as each time I voiced a concern the ortho over corrected or dismissed it without communicating the process. Will these front teeth erupt on their own in the settling phase? Should I just go find a new ortho, if so how much would it cost just to correct the vertical?[/quote]

:(

plugnickel69

#3 Post by plugnickel69 »

I suggest you book a "consult" with your present ortho to discuss the situation. Tell him you have some major concerns you would like to discuss. You should not have to spend extra money unless he really botched your case, in which case you may have to consult a lawyer.

auco99

#4 Post by auco99 »

Feeling the same way. I have had mine off for about 6 weeks. I don't like the way they look (some of this I guess is due to the natural shape of my teeth, so there's probably not much my ortho could have done about that), my bite doesn't fit right on my mid-left side (which I have told her the entire time), and my bottoms are already crowding and rotating a little bit. I still don't even have a retainer. All I have is the positioner she gave me, which is like a huge boxing mouthguard. Is it normal to only have a positioner at this stage? Obviously I can't walk around wearing a huge plastic mouthguard all day. I still think it's odd that my bottom wire was changed only once, maybe twice, the entire time I had braces, and that's where my crowding and bite issues seem to lie. Meanwhile, my upper wire was changed numerous times. It just seems odd.

She keeps assuring me that she will be able to correct things with an invisalign-like retainer (which, as stated, I don't yet have). My thing is, I wore braces for 27 months. Why wasn't the bite issue addressed BEFORE taking these off? I told her a hundred times that my teeth weren't meeting up in a certain spot, and she never did anything about it.

Like you, the last 6 months of my treatment were just a big letdown. She is a nice person but I don't feel like she ever listened to what I was telling her. On top of all that, I had to have a root canal on one of my upper centrals, which may or may not have been caused by a bracket tie being torqued too much. So now I have to worry about that tooth being dead and getting more fragile every day. Really feeling sick about the whole process.
Uppers: Ceramic Damons, braced 1-31-12
Lowers: Metal, braced 5-31-12

Realizingadream

#5 Post by Realizingadream »

I'm not satisfied with my teeth after braces, either. My dentist is going to talk to the orthodontist. The teeth look okay, actually. But in back, the molars don't mesh well, and the dentist says I will be losing at least 2 teeth once they take the brunt of chewing, instead of sharing the load, because only 2 teeth touch, and just barely, and all 4 are supposed to fit together when I chew, to share the load.

I will either get more treatment, my dentist says probably braces again, from my orthodontist, or I will seek another orthodontist. And perhaps a lawyer, if my orthodontist says he can't fix what he wrought.

I mean, this is terrible! Right now I am chewing only on one side, and only tiny bites, and that makes for very slow eating.

Good luck, keep us posted.

Real

Realizingadream

#6 Post by Realizingadream »

Hello.

I made a post in the "I may need braces" thread, that covers this. Please read it.

After some dental work to bring my orthodontia around to good, I am very satisfied with my braces.

The dentist and the orthodontist both did a very, very good job with a case that was not straightforward at all.

Real