So hard to talk with retainer in

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Marigold

So hard to talk with retainer in

#1 Post by Marigold »

After 2 years and 11 months, and adjustments down to the final days, I was finally debraced on Dec. 16th! :singing:

I have the clear retainer that looks like whitening trays. What are these called? My ortho tells me nothing. :? For the first 4 days it rubbed against the base of my tongue and was very uncomfortable, but it's feeling better now. Wow, it's really hard to talk in this thing! I'm on the phone a lot at work and was so looking forward to getting the braces off so I could speak again. Now it's even worse! I sound like Cindy Brady. I have to wear it full-time for 6 months. Not sure how long after that - hopefully just at night.

Is talking an issue for everyone?
Class II moderately deep overbite, mild crowding.
Braced on January 19, 2011. Debraced on December 16, 2013.
2 years, 11 months in braces.

thisgal201

Re: So hard to talk with retainer in

#2 Post by thisgal201 »

I have the same kind. They are called Essix retainers. In my experience, the longer they are in my mouth the more natural my speaking sounds. I don't have to wear mine 24/7, but for a while after I first put them in, I end up lisping a bit and it sounds a little goofy. Hopefully with more time it will be less bothersome :)
[/url]

Marigold

#3 Post by Marigold »

Essix! Thank you. I'm tempted to trim the edge behind my front teeth just a tad so it's not interfering with my tongue.

bracedincollege?

#4 Post by bracedincollege? »

I was only told to wear mine during the day for two weeks, but during that time, I never felt comfortable talking or even having them really. I do still wear a thicker one on my upper teeth at night, 6 years later, and I can speak clear as day with that one (I would hope that'd be the case). So I can't really tell you how long it'll take to talk normally, but I would say no longer than a month of full-time wear.

boodles8

#5 Post by boodles8 »

Practice makes perfect! If you're still having a problem talking, I suggest reading a book aloud (to yourself, if you're too embarrassed to do it in front of anyone). I know it sounds weird, but it really does help.

I haven't had retainers yet, but I have copious experience talking with junk in my mouth. I've had three separate appliances that I've had to wear during the day over the years.
Boodles8

Braced July, 2012
BSSO August, 2013
Debraced October 2, 2014

nikkibabie19

#6 Post by nikkibabie19 »

I have the hawley retainers top and bottom.

Day one: I sounded so terrible I hardly spoke at the office. Thank God it was a Friday. So its now Sunday and wearing them 24/7 I can practically speak normal again. I still have some lisping if I try to say wordsthat begin or end with an "s" but other than that im good.

If I have either the top or bottom one in at a time you won't even notice I have them on.

Things get a little trickier with top and bottom retainers on.

But I'll get use to it. Especially since I have to wear them 24/7. Im not worried that I wont get the hang of them.talking on the phone for work might pose as a challenge but we'll c.

Me with elastics : http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=46327

FINALLY Me after braces : http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=46650
[/color]

Realizingadream

#7 Post by Realizingadream »

Marigold wrote:I sound like Cindy Brady.

Is talking an issue for everyone?
YES. I sound like Cindy Brady too! Maybe I'll put my hair in pigtails and roll with it? (I'm 64.) I was completely devastated yesterday when I got these retainer things put in my mouth. I did NOT sleep with the bottom one in last night, because it was keeping me awake. I'll try again tonight.

Thank goodness it is Friday, I have to talk a little bit at work, and I'll practice my elocution (heh) this weekend, maybe improve. Or else I'll think up lots of Cindy Brady jokes.... Thank goodness my husband is nice about these dental things I've put him through the last couple of years. My teeth look GREAT without the retainers and with the braces off--so I guess I'll wear the retainers to keep them nice. But what a disappointment getting these giant retainers was....

Real

Marigold

#8 Post by Marigold »

Talking has gotten a little easier since I first posted. I only have to wear it at night now. Very happy for that!

TreadLightly

#9 Post by TreadLightly »

I've had my braces off for about 8 months now and have been wearing my retainer full time (on top). Almost every time I put it back on after a meal I sound lispy for a little while then it goes away. My uncle often pokes fun at it, asking if I'm trying to sound stupid.. He at the time didn't know why I was talking odd.. But it soon dissipated.

bracemyselfyall

#10 Post by bracemyselfyall »

Its been about 6 months since I've been debraced and my speech can be slight off at times. It's definitely getting better though.