Perfectly fitting Essix is assurance of teeth staying put?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Cadet

Perfectly fitting Essix is assurance of teeth staying put?

#1 Post by Cadet »

I apologize for making a new thread, but obviously just like a lot of others, since debracing, I have become SO paranoid.
My new paranoia is my impacted wisdom teeth will crowd my teeth.
I cannot afford to remove them yet, but am aware that I will have to(they don't cause pain now).

To keep me sane till I do remove them, is it safe to say that if my Essix retainer fit nicely, that must mean my teeth are staying put?
I assume since it was built on exactly how your teeth are post treatment, any movement will allow it to not fit properly, or maybe at all.

Correct?
Again I apologize for a new thread and look forward to your responses.

Thank you

ortholabowner

Re: Perfectly fitting Essix is assurance of teeth staying pu

#2 Post by ortholabowner »

you should be fine with consistent appliance wear.

bracesagain2

#3 Post by bracesagain2 »

Hi Cadet - I totally understand about the paranoia. I was paranoid about even getting my braces off. :lol:
And now I was thinking that's another thing for me to worry about now - my retainers/teeth shifting and moving, etc.

I think if you wear your retainer like your ortho directs you - you should be fine.

Plus anything that shifts or moves, you can address/ask your ortho about it.

But I totally know how you feel - even just from my first day of braces with no retainers, I'm already worried about it shifting. :o

plugnickel69

#4 Post by plugnickel69 »

Hi Cadet, Do you have fixed lingual retainers as well?

Cadet

#5 Post by Cadet »

Thanks for the responses guys.
plugnickel69 wrote:Hi Cadet, Do you have fixed lingual retainers as well?
Hello. Yes I do, top and bottom 6 teeth.

Matilda

#6 Post by Matilda »

Cadet wrote:I apologize for making a new thread, but obviously just like a lot of others, since debracing, I have become SO paranoid.
My new paranoia is my impacted wisdom teeth will crowd my teeth.
I cannot afford to remove them yet, but am aware that I will have to(they don't cause pain now).

To keep me sane till I do remove them, is it safe to say that if my Essix retainer fit nicely, that must mean my teeth are staying put?
I assume since it was built on exactly how your teeth are post treatment, any movement will allow it to not fit properly, or maybe at all.

Correct?
Again I apologize for a new thread and look forward to your responses.

Thank you
I'm paranoid about my wisdom teeth as well. I can hardly wait to remove them.

bracedincollege?

#7 Post by bracedincollege? »

I wouldn't count on that necessarily. Sure, if you wear them full-time, your teeth should stay pretty well, but from my experience, nighttime wear isn't always enough. I wore my bottom retainer almost every night, and my teeth are still relatively straight, but it wasn't enough to keep them perfect.