Anyone using permanent retainer(in the back)? / sore teeth

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Cadet

Anyone using permanent retainer(in the back)? / sore teeth

#1 Post by Cadet »

My ortho put the permanent retainers on the top and bottom 6 teeth, and gave me the see through retainers for night time only.
Should this be good enough?
I'm worried that the retainers from the back are only attached to the front 6 teeth. Is this okay?

Also. I de braced yesterday and my teeth are sort of sore. Should I be worried or is this normal?

Thanks all

thatchick

Re: Anyone using permanent retainer(in the back)? / sore tee

#2 Post by thatchick »

Hi Cadet,
When I got my braces off back when I was a teenager I had a hawley retainer for my upper. My lower only had a permanent retainer for the six teeth. My teeth were straight for years until my permanent retainer broke and I never went back to get it fixed. On the other hand my brother has had the permanent retainer for over 10 years now and his lower teeth are still just as straight with no other additional retainer for the lower.

If your permanent retainer pops off make sure you get it fixed! Unlike me who has to get invisalign now when it all could have been avoided if I just went back and had a retainer glued back on.

Cadet

#3 Post by Cadet »

thatchick wrote:Hi Cadet,
When I got my braces off back when I was a teenager I had a hawley retainer for my upper. My lower only had a permanent retainer for the six teeth. My teeth were straight for years until my permanent retainer broke and I never went back to get it fixed. On the other hand my brother has had the permanent retainer for over 10 years now and his lower teeth are still just as straight with no other additional retainer for the lower.

If your permanent retainer pops off make sure you get it fixed! Unlike me who has to get invisalign now when it all could have been avoided if I just went back and had a retainer glued back on.
Hey,
Thank you so much for the response, makes me feel much better.
I will be careful, and definitely go back if they break.
One more ques. Can you remember if they felt tight or uncomfortable or was just normal?
I don't feel like they are tight, or uncomfortable, or anything of that sort. There isn't any pressure.
Just want to make sure that's normal..

Thank you once again.

thatchick

#4 Post by thatchick »

No problem :)
It did not feel tight or uncomfortable. I got used to it fairly quickly. To me it only felt weird for a day since there is something glued to the back of your teeth, but other then that there was no sensation.

plugnickel69

#5 Post by plugnickel69 »

I have them, six teeth on top, eight on the bottom. I have felt no pressure at any time and found them easy to get used to though they make flossing a pain just as braces did.