My Hawley retainer looks different than most I've seen

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ariel86

My Hawley retainer looks different than most I've seen

#1 Post by ariel86 »

Hi,
It's been a while I didn't post anything (I'm 5 years after braces) and just recently I randomly started to realise my Hawley looks quite different than most people's. There is no wire that goes underneath the teeth, it includes all teeth not just the front ones, and the part of wire that goes across the front teeth is FLAT and THICK and very shiny (on the back teeth its the typical round wire). Usually the wire is thinner, round and less visible. Anyone knows why mine looks like that or has the same? do you know if theres a technical or dental reason to make it that way or it's just the lab tech decided to be creative? I'm just asking out of curiosity, not because I want a different one or anything lol

ortholabowner

Re: My Hawley retainer looks different than most I've seen

#2 Post by ortholabowner »

sounds like what is called a circumferential hawley with a combination flat anterior labial bow wire / round posterior wire. the theory is that the flat wire better holds your teeth in place than the round wire. unless the wire is adapted very accurately to conform to the front surfaces of your teeth, then there is no substantial benefit of the flat over the round wire. it is, however, ugly.