Anyone have really sensitive teeth after debanding?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bmueller

Anyone have really sensitive teeth after debanding?

#1 Post by bmueller »

I had my braces taken off two weeks ago. Some of my teeth are EXTREMELY sensitive to hot and cold now and weren't that way when the braces were on. They don't "look" damaged but can be extremely painful.

I've been using sensitive toothpaste twice a day and rinsing with the anticavity fluoride mouthwash but it doesn't seem to be getting better. I'm concerned I've ruined my teeth!

Anyone have this problem? Solutions?

hj55

Re: Anyone have really sensitive teeth after debanding?

#2 Post by hj55 »

Hi,

I finished my treatment in 2010, with upper and lower fixed braces and found that it took about a year for my teeth to really settle down and feel comfortable.

I kept using toothpaste for sensitive teeth and also the the one's which build up enamel & I still use them now. I thought my teeth might be more sensitive and take a bit longer to settle because I was in my 50's but now they are fine.

I certainly couldn't start eating anything and everything I wanted when I got my braces off! I had to be a bit careful with that too.

Best wishes,

Helen

bmueller

#3 Post by bmueller »

Thanks for the advice.

I'm only 28 and have taken pristine care of my teeth my whole life. I have no fillings and was told by my ortho that I was doing an excellent job keeping my teeth clean with braces. It is just very frustrating to have problems when I tried so hard to keep up.

I'm thinking of going to the dentist next month (give it another month to get less sensitive) and then see what they have to say.

auco99

#4 Post by auco99 »

I'm having this same issue. I was debanded 2 weeks ago. My teeth felt fine until the ortho started grinding the cement off my teeth, and I realized my upper right teeth were killing me. They have been really sensitive to cold water and air ever since. I went to the dentist 2 days ago and he said this pain was likely caused by the braces. He prescribed some flouride and calcium cream (I forget the name) to "re-mineralize" the teeth, and recommended I brush with Pro-Namel by Sensodyne to rebuild the enamel. He said it will be a long process and not to expect overnight results. I am also rinsing with a flouride rinse. I can't tell much, if any, improvement yet, but it's only been 2 days.

I'm posting this for the benefit of any others who ever experience this issue, but if you do see this, did your teeth ever get better, and how long did it take?
Uppers: Ceramic Damons, braced 1-31-12
Lowers: Metal, braced 5-31-12

Bikerchick85

#5 Post by Bikerchick85 »

auco99 wrote:I'm having this same issue. I was debanded 2 weeks ago. My teeth felt fine until the ortho started grinding the cement off my teeth, and I realized my upper right teeth were killing me. They have been really sensitive to cold water and air ever since. I went to the dentist 2 days ago and he said this pain was likely caused by the braces. He prescribed some flouride and calcium cream (I forget the name) to "re-mineralize" the teeth, and recommended I brush with Pro-Namel by Sensodyne to rebuild the enamel. He said it will be a long process and not to expect overnight results. I am also rinsing with a flouride rinse. I can't tell much, if any, improvement yet, but it's only been 2 days.

I'm posting this for the benefit of any others who ever experience this issue, but if you do see this, did your teeth ever get better, and how long did it take?
I am getting debanded in 6 days and I am worried about having this problem. My teeth have always been super sensitive and I've been using Sensodyne Pronamel for many years (I love that stuff, btw..best sensitive toothpaste ever). Was that cream called MI paste? My ortho sells it and was thinking about getting some to try to avoid sensitivity with the whitening I'll be doing. Good luck to you!

MY STORY.. http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=43860

*4 Premolar Extractions-Nov. 29th, 2012*
*Upper Ceramic Braces-Dec. 11, 2012*
*Lower Metal Braces-Feb. 11th, 2013*
*Est. Sentence-24 months*

auco99

#6 Post by auco99 »

Bikerchick85 wrote:
auco99 wrote:I'm having this same issue. I was debanded 2 weeks ago. My teeth felt fine until the ortho started grinding the cement off my teeth, and I realized my upper right teeth were killing me. They have been really sensitive to cold water and air ever since. I went to the dentist 2 days ago and he said this pain was likely caused by the braces. He prescribed some flouride and calcium cream (I forget the name) to "re-mineralize" the teeth, and recommended I brush with Pro-Namel by Sensodyne to rebuild the enamel. He said it will be a long process and not to expect overnight results. I am also rinsing with a flouride rinse. I can't tell much, if any, improvement yet, but it's only been 2 days.

I am getting debanded in 6 days and I am worried about having this problem. My teeth have always been super sensitive and I've been using Sensodyne Pronamel for many years (I love that stuff, btw..best sensitive toothpaste ever). Was that cream called MI paste? My ortho sells it and was thinking about getting some to try to avoid sensitivity with the whitening I'll be doing. Good luck to you!
Bikerchick,

Yes, MI paste! (mine is GC MI Paste Plus, actually) I had an orthodontist visit today, and she was really surprised at the sensitivity issues I was having, so it must not be that common. During my treatment I fairly regularly rinsed with flouride rinse hoping to avoid the calcium spots I'd read about, plus to keep my enamel strong. Maybe I didn't do it enough.

On your de-brace day I HIGHLY recommend you load up on ibuprofen or your pain killer of choice just in case some of your teeth decide to be ornery that day. It isn't a bad process (other than the smell), but with my unexpectedly sensitive teeth I was miserable. Best of luck and congrats on your debracing!
Uppers: Ceramic Damons, braced 1-31-12
Lowers: Metal, braced 5-31-12

Bikerchick85

#7 Post by Bikerchick85 »

auco99 wrote:
Bikerchick,

Yes, MI paste! (mine is GC MI Paste Plus, actually) I had an orthodontist visit today, and she was really surprised at the sensitivity issues I was having, so it must not be that common. During my treatment I fairly regularly rinsed with flouride rinse hoping to avoid the calcium spots I'd read about, plus to keep my enamel strong. Maybe I didn't do it enough.

On your de-brace day I HIGHLY recommend you load up on ibuprofen or your pain killer of choice just in case some of your teeth decide to be ornery that day. It isn't a bad process (other than the smell), but with my unexpectedly sensitive teeth I was miserable. Best of luck and congrats on your debracing!
Do you put the paste in your retainers? I wasn't sure how it was used?
Thanks for the ibuprofen tip! I definitely will. My teeth have been sensitive my whole life and this is actually the third time I've had braces, but the first time I'm actually finishing treatment. I've been through debanding before and it wasn't fun. My teeth were sensitive when they were getting the glue off and you're right...the SMELL! :( yuck! That is the worst part to me. When they take those molar bands off, it is the worst smell ever. I thought about putting menthol ointment under my nose like cops do when they have to be around a dead body!!! hahaha

MY STORY.. http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=43860

*4 Premolar Extractions-Nov. 29th, 2012*
*Upper Ceramic Braces-Dec. 11, 2012*
*Lower Metal Braces-Feb. 11th, 2013*
*Est. Sentence-24 months*