Teeth creep when bonded retainer got loose

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

paininmouth

Teeth creep when bonded retainer got loose

#1 Post by paininmouth »

I have bonded retainers on both upper and lower teeth. I also wear a plastic retainer overnight. Once in a while the bonded retainers detach from one or more teeth and I have to go to the orthodontist to re-glue it back.

Sometimes I have to wait a few days to do this (e.g. over the weekend), and when the wire is glued back to the tooth, the tooth may have moved slightly. This usually cause the tooth to be tender for a few days as it and the surrounding teeth settle into a slightly new position.

The last episode is particularly bad. After the wire is glued back, I noticed several adjacent teeth (towards the back) started to feel tender for a few days. Eventually they healed but the very back molar started to feel tender and is getting worse. It would start to feel painful a few hours after I remove the plastic retainer. Poking it with finger causes more pain, so does chewing with it. I have to put back the plastic retainer for an hour or so. Otherwise, by the end of the day even the muscle around that molar seem painful. I can feel it just by opening my mouth wide.

Has anyone dealt with this problem? Would it heal itself after a few weeks when the molar settles into a new position, or would it just wiggle back and forth as I put on the plastic retainer, and remove it? If I go back to the orthodontist, what is the correction solution I should expect from him?

JayC

Re: Teeth creep when bonded retainer got loose

#2 Post by JayC »

I had the bonded wire immediately after I had my braces removed. I kept the essix for the top though. I soon realized that a bonded retainer wasn't going to cut it as it got loose after only about a month. I was better off wearing the essix, and now vivera, every night. I have been wearing my retainers every night for the past 4 years (since debracing). Your teeth technically shouldn't shift if your bonded retainer gets loose, and you are still wearing the clear retainers at night, like you are supposed to)

waterworld

#3 Post by waterworld »

Same thing happened to me, I finally tore it off because it was forcing my teeth outward instead of keeping them straight.

sneed1o1

#4 Post by sneed1o1 »

waterworld wrote:Same thing happened to me, I finally tore it off because it was forcing my teeth outward instead of keeping them straight.
LOL! This exact thing happened to me! I have begged my new orthodontist to not give me bonded retainers this time around. They didn't serve their purpose, and they were just a pain to keep clean on top of that :P I want to try the Hawley removable retainers this time around! Makes more sense to me to have something in front of my teeth to keep it from pushing forward rather than behind them... :Questions:

oldfart

#5 Post by oldfart »

I have both on the bottom. Permanent and Hawley.. but I'm retention paranoid.
Braces on: 2/25/2013. Braces Off: 12/23/2015
Current Retainers: Hawley Top, Essix Bottom, and Permanent Lingual Bottom