Retainers at New Orthodontist???

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

BracedSurgeryStudent

Retainers at New Orthodontist???

#1 Post by BracedSurgeryStudent »

So I have a question, so a friend of mine needs new retainers, hates the colours, they smell like butt, wants an essix vs hawley, etc, they're 650.00 for upper and lower at her place to get replacements, can she go to just any orthodontist and ask for retainers even if she isn't a patient there if retainers are only 200$ for both?
Jenn Medeiros

BraceFace2o1o

Re: Retainers at New Orthodontist???

#2 Post by BraceFace2o1o »

I can't see why not if she is a private patient. I would imagine a private orthodontist office wouldn't turn away business. Maybe phone or email them first to ask if they offer this service.

I have read that a while after braces are removed if you want/need new retainers they can use the impressions taken the day of brace removal (if there hasn't been much movement), but if one is going to a totally new ortho then new impressions would need to be taken.
Braces: Metal fixed upper and lower
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces Removed: August 2013 (after 33 months in braces)
Retainers: Upper & lower essix and lower bonded
My Story / Before & After photos

BracedSurgeryStudent

#3 Post by BracedSurgeryStudent »

Well, I personally hate my own retainers too they're hawley retainers with springs. They make me throw up all the time and my teeth are starting to move back and I'm afraid my orthodontist won't care.
Jenn Medeiros

JeniK

#4 Post by JeniK »

Oh No Bracedstudentsurgeon! After all you have been through to get your gorgeous smile! New to this , I know nothing about retainers...but is there a different one that would not make you throw up all the time ? And to "retain" your teeth that you worked so hard to fix! :cry:

BracedSurgeryStudent

#5 Post by BracedSurgeryStudent »

I know, and I have been having problems where my retainer fell out at night five times and I wake in horror to find i been sleeping on top of it the entire night, and I wear it 24/7 and for it to be doing something is a HUGE problem, and I have this feeling she is going to tell me I need new ones which she charges 650.00 for that I don't have, which is why I was asking if I could go to a local orthodontist to get one for 200
Jenn Medeiros