Hawley retainer adjustment

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Hawley retainer adjustment

#1 Post by 33333 »

Let’s say your Hawley retainer needs an adjustment, how do you know if your ortho/dentist might over adjust/under adjust it?

For example, if the measurement of an arch has increased after some bonding, how do they know how much to adjust? Just keep repeating the adjust then try on process until it “feels right”? But I think feeling right at that very moment might not necessarily mean a perfect fit? How can we ensure there is no potential over adjustment / under adjustment?

Sayrah

Re: Hawley retainer adjustment

#2 Post by Sayrah »

My ortho did the "tweak it and keep trying it" method, as I like to call it. Sometimes he made mine too tight, and I didn't notice it until I got home, and had to wait a few weeks to get an appointment to get it fixed. But eventually, I just had to get a completely new retainer because I had a crown and implant, so my old retainer didn't fit correctly anymore, and I got it done through my dentist who uses an ortho lab and they made it fit perfectly.

Peg tooth (upper lateral incisor #10) & missing tooth (upper lateral incisor #7)
July 13, 2011 - Crown lengthening for peg tooth & bone graft for implant
March 2012 - Crown fit on peg tooth
June 2012 - Screw placed in jaw for implant
October 2012 - Implant set

#3 Post by 33333 »

Sayrah wrote:My ortho did the "tweak it and keep trying it" method, as I like to call it. Sometimes he made mine too tight, and I didn't notice it until I got home, and had to wait a few weeks to get an appointment to get it fixed. But eventually, I just had to get a completely new retainer because I had a crown and implant, so my old retainer didn't fit correctly anymore, and I got it done through my dentist who uses an ortho lab and they made it fit perfectly.
"Over corrected" for a few weeks, that's not good!

I suppose this happens to a lot of patients!

Sayrah

#4 Post by Sayrah »

33333 wrote:
Sayrah wrote:My ortho did the "tweak it and keep trying it" method, as I like to call it. Sometimes he made mine too tight, and I didn't notice it until I got home, and had to wait a few weeks to get an appointment to get it fixed. But eventually, I just had to get a completely new retainer because I had a crown and implant, so my old retainer didn't fit correctly anymore, and I got it done through my dentist who uses an ortho lab and they made it fit perfectly.
"Over corrected" for a few weeks, that's not good!

I suppose this happens to a lot of patients!
It was pretty terrible. They told me to just wear it when possible. I did venture to my dentist though (who is also an ortho as well, and my ortho said it was okay) and he was able to make it a bit more comfortable for those few weeks I had to wait until my appointment.

Peg tooth (upper lateral incisor #10) & missing tooth (upper lateral incisor #7)
July 13, 2011 - Crown lengthening for peg tooth & bone graft for implant
March 2012 - Crown fit on peg tooth
June 2012 - Screw placed in jaw for implant
October 2012 - Implant set