Pain in teeth 5 months after debanding

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

MerryKate

Pain in teeth 5 months after debanding

#1 Post by MerryKate »

I've got Essex retainers on top and bottom, and have followed the retention plan faithfully, but it seems my teeth are sensitive all the time anyway. The retainers are pretty tight feeling at night when I put them on, and now I'm having bite pain on my upper left and lower right molars. Is this normal? I'm seeing the dentist on Thursday morning, but getting really nervous that I'm headed for serious dental work. I got braces originally because I had TMJ and I'm wondering if that could be part of the problem...kinda hoping it is. I really don't want a root canal - I had one before and it never really "took"; I was glad to have it removed as part of my extractions for braces.
"Every tooth in a man's head is more valuable than a diamond." ~Miguel de Cervantes

illay

Re: Pain in teeth 5 months after debanding

#2 Post by illay »

Kate, i think it's a difficult question and only your dentist can give you the answer. Hopefully there's nothing wrong :). Keep update about your consultation.

MerryKate

#3 Post by MerryKate »

The bad news is, I have severe root reabsorption in my lower right molar, along with several cavities from the root being exposed; on the upper left I have 2 metal fillings and they are starting to crack the teeth they're in. I had hoped I'd gotten through this without any serious tooth damage. :cry: So I'm due for a crown and several fillings, and the dentist is consulting my ortho re: the molar which is now missing 2/3 of the root. Anyone have any idea how that kind of thing is addressed? I have a bad feeling I'm going to lose the tooth.
"Every tooth in a man's head is more valuable than a diamond." ~Miguel de Cervantes

hotsteve

#4 Post by hotsteve »

Aw god really sorry to hear that :( this is the bad side of ortho treatment. Let us know how you get on, hope everything turns out ok!

Weston

#5 Post by Weston »

I have had my braces off for 11 days. I have the Essix which I am wearing 24 hours plus the permenant retainer top and bottom. Today I started to get soreness on my upper right side .The Essix are tight. The oc told me I need to wear them why my teeth settle in place. Hope this soreness doesn't turn to pain.