How do you clean your retainer?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

luchababe

How do you clean your retainer?

#1 Post by luchababe »

I've noticed plaque build up on a few spots on my removable retainer. After some Googling it seems soaking it in a 1/2 and 1/2 solution of water and vinegar is most common. I was told to NOT use a toothbrush to clean it since it might scratch it and those scratches will gather bacteria which will stink, etc etc. The cleaner that starts with the letter P that has been used in spam posts, so it's censored. was also recommended but I don't see that taking off the hard plaque gunk.

So I'm looking for some suggestions!

I'm going for a dental cleaning in 3 weeks so I think I'll take my retainer in with me and see if the hygienist can either scrape it off for me or suggest something I can do.

luchababe

Re: How do you clean your retainer?

#2 Post by luchababe »

In case anyone reads this post, I tried the 1/2 and 1/2 white vinegar and warm water idea and it worked pretty good. It loosened the plaque so I could gentle rub it off with my finger. A few more soaks and it should be quite clean.

loradora

#3 Post by loradora »

My ortho instructed me to soak them in vinegar/water once a week for about an hour.

bbsadmin

#4 Post by bbsadmin »

The vinegar and water won't stop the plaque buildup. For that you need a professional strength retainer cleaning product, such as Retainer Brite, SonicBrite, Cleanse Freshen Go, or DentaSoak. You can find all of them at DentaKit.com.

Do not use denture tablets; they will eventually turn your retainer yellow.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

smartygirl

#5 Post by smartygirl »

do you know if there are any canadian sites carrying these products? dentakit charges $30 to ship!
the comeback kid: my blog about braces, asthma, and a broken foot.

smilezofmetal

#6 Post by smilezofmetal »

Have you tried denture soaks...that's what I use.

BracedSurgeryStudent

#7 Post by BracedSurgeryStudent »

I was told: NO denture OR retainer cleaners at ALL. Use a hard bristled toothbrush cold water ONLY, no warm or hot water, and no soaking it in hot water or boiling it.
Jenn Medeiros

lana23

#8 Post by lana23 »

My ortho recommended Efferdent denture tablets so I went out and bought a 6 month supply. When that runs out, I will give the Retainer brite a go.

cs2thecox

#9 Post by cs2thecox »

I have Essix-type retainers and was told to use a normal toothbrush and no more than warm water. I guess hot water softens the plastic again, and changes the shape! Definitely no abrasive toothpaste either.

I was also told that denture cleaning tablets are fine to use. (Or specific retainer ones - I got a free sample of RetainerBrite or something.)
I only have to wear my retainers at night (I have permanent bonded wires top and bottom too) so it doesn't really matter if they go a bit yellow!

Roses

#10 Post by Roses »

I was told a soft brush and cold water whenever I take it out for food/before bed/to freshen up and then use a denture cleaner regularly, but the one I have been using from boots is 90p for a months supply so I've been using it every day

phasesofbeauty

#11 Post by phasesofbeauty »

I have clear Vivera retainers.

I brush them thoroughly with liquid soap and water at least once a day.
Helpful Information to Make Your Life More Frugal and More Fun!
https://krystalbrownblog.wordpress.com

cs2thecox

#12 Post by cs2thecox »

Roses - totally agree on the Boots denture cleaner. Fairly sure it comes out the same factory as Steradent etc and it's an absolute bargain!
I used it on my night guards for years before I got braces and never had any problems.
(Although being a bit more careful with water temperature and my retainers!)

plugnickel69

#13 Post by plugnickel69 »

I was told very soft brush that they use at the ortho's office and antibacterial liquid soap. Seems to work. Been doing that successfully for a year-and-a-half.

retainerjoe

#14 Post by retainerjoe »

DAWN dish soap, put water in a cup enough to cover them add about ten or so drops of soap mix add retainers , just like soaking pots and pans , cheap works great :jump:
http://community.webshots.com/user/head ... =community this link also has my video of me getting my braces

plugnickel69

#15 Post by plugnickel69 »

DAWN, interesting. I used to work with a guy who used DAWN to clean his contact lenses.