Scheduling cleaning same day of braces removal?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

sjs8906

Scheduling cleaning same day of braces removal?

#1 Post by sjs8906 »

Sorry if this has been asked before (I'm sure it has!), but I did a quick search and couldn't find anything.

Does anyone know if it is advisable to have your teeth cleaned the same day you have your braces removed? I need to make my cleaning appointment and it would be easiest to have it all done on the same day, but I'm wondering if my teeth will be sore/sensitive?

sjs8906

Re: Scheduling cleaning same day of braces removal?

#2 Post by sjs8906 »

Oops...posted this on the wrong board but I suppose it will work here too! :lol:

Jethro

#3 Post by Jethro »

Hey sjs8906, congrats on nearing the end of your journey. I almost had my cleaning appt right after my debanding, but I'm sure glad I made it for a week or so later. My teeth were a bit sore after the debanding (one of the ceramic brackets was difficult to remove), permanent retainer application, and molds for the essix/hawley retainers. I know everyone is different, but I'd suggest waiting a while if you can. Good luck!

ajs604

#4 Post by ajs604 »

Hi sjs8906,

I have been reading your story and need an opnion from someone who has been through the same treatment as my dentist proposes. I have a very severe open bite approx 7-8 mm and only my back teeth touch. I have been reading your story. Anyway I have read out surgery ect and it is definatly a no go for me. I have been to see a orthodonist who has taken immpressions of my gums ect, ect. Anyway he has proposed using an expander like yours and 4 TAD's to intrude my back molars. He says he has very little expereince in dealing with open bites of my severity so is not sure of relapse occurences ect but he told me there is a good change it will improve - it can then be fixed in place with retainers.

What is your advice, has your treatment been a success since remval. Would appreciate any advice. Total price is $9000 (Aus). Look forward to hearing from you.

ajs604

#5 Post by ajs604 »

Also I am a 29 yeat old male I should add. Have lived with it for years as prospect of surgery scares me. So am hoping this works or I will have to live with it.

Weston

#6 Post by Weston »

So my braces came off on Friday.
It was a breeze, I had ceramic on the top and metal on the bottom. Then sanded the glue off and polished after having my permament retainers installed I had my teeth cleaned. It was exactly the right thing to do. I was not in pain just a touch sore, because of the essix retainers. I wouldn't even think twice about having the teeth cleaned on the same day. Now all I need is for whitten in my essix's trays and my teeth will look fantastic.