Getting Six Month Smiles braces off!

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

treehillfan

Getting Six Month Smiles braces off!

#1 Post by treehillfan »

Hello all :-)
I'm not really new to these boards, I mostly just read about other peoples' experiences because I haven't ever had "traditional" braces so I don't have much to offer in that department. But I just wanted to post tonight because in exactly a week, next Wednesday, I should be getting my braces off!

My braces story goes a little like this:
I'm 20, and I've always had a horrible overlap in my upper front teeth and most of my "visible" teeth have always been crooked. I have NEVER willingly smiled with teeth in pictures before because it's so embarrassingly bad. Having never been comfortable with my smile, I finally decided I wanted to actually smile for pictures instead of awkwardly smirk. However, I didn't think I had the patience for regular braces (plus I had no problems with my bite). I started researching alternatives and one of them was "Six Month Smiles" which is a treatment that focuses mostly on "visible" teeth and lasts an average of 6 months. This was perfect for me! I finally got them in, and even though they're still a bit too pricey for me, I think it's totally worth it if I can have more confidence. My dentist quoted 10 months because my case was so severe, and I started around January 24th, I believe.

The actual braces part was HORRIBLE at first. Eating is possibly my favorite thing in the world and for the first two weeks (I know, I'm a wimp), I could NOT eat anything but soup. Finally I got used to eating almost everything. Things have been fine, except I still hate laughing/talking a lot just for the reason that my lips always catch on my braces after I close my mouth (if that makes sense..). I guess because I'm a senior in college and none of my friends have braces, it feels odd. But I honestly don't care at this point. I'm just hoping it'll be well worth it!

Now, after 7 months (nothing compared to some of you guys, heh), my dentist says we're in the home stretch and I can have them off September 5th! :) I'm a little nervous because my two front teeth are still different sizes, but dentist has said he'll smooth everything out so it looks nice.

BellaBraces

Re: Getting Six Month Smiles braces off!

#2 Post by BellaBraces »

I get the lip catching thing too!

My Six Month Smiles were due to come off today after only 4 months but the movement over the last month hasn't been enough, so they won't. I'm very interested to hear how your debracing goes, and what your retainer is like, so do please post after it has happened.

treehillfan

Re: Getting Six Month Smiles braces off!

#3 Post by treehillfan »

I will definitely post a description of the debracing process. So excited! I've been told I'm going to get a permanent retainer on the bottom teeth and the Essix one on top!