Teeth have moved while using Invisalign Vivera retainers

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

misterblue

Teeth have moved while using Invisalign Vivera retainers

#1 Post by misterblue »

Hi

This is my first post and I'm looking for advice.

I finished my Invisalign treatment 3.5 years ago. My ortho gave me one set of Vivera retainers and said wear them 24hr a day for 6mths then at night afterwards, which I did. The retainers were damaged after 8mths so I bought 2 more pairs (£140) and wore the next pair for 2 years. Yep, that's two whole years, all because my ortho never mentioned when or how often they should be replaced.

I kept them clean, they weren't cracked and always fitted so I didn't think I had to change them. I hadn't realised they had stretched. Now I've got small gaps around my premolars where food gets stuck and I never had that problem before. My front teeth still look straight so my concern is my dental health, not cosmetic.

I had hoped wearing my 3rd pair would move my teeth back into their 'perfect' position. But after getting another 3 pairs of Viveras (£260) last week they don't fit cleanly, I have to force them in. It's like putting in one of the Invisalign trays during my treatment but not exerting so much pressure.

My question is do I need to have more Invisalign treatment? I'm freaking out that I need to spend another £3200 to fix it!

John

PS I have moved since the Invisalign treatment so I don't have a current ortho, just a regular dentist. The original ortho's 2 hrs away so I can go back if necessary.

hotsteve

Re: Teeth have moved while using Invisalign Vivera retainers

#2 Post by hotsteve »

Hey John

That is one of my regular moans on here actually... unfortunately retainers need replacing a lot more frequently than one would expect.

Interestingly (based on "research", apparently...!), Invisalign suggest Vivera's be changed every 3-6 months, and this is for a very highly regarded retainer product. They are of course trying to sell more of these, but it seems logical as plastic does stretch very easily. Many Ortho's however suggest with good care, Vivera's should last 1 to 2 years. A safe bet I guess would to change up once a year.

The good news is, Vivera's carry a slight ability to "correct" minor relapses. I can't remember exactly, but Invisalign quote something like 1-2mm movement in teeth can potentially be corrected using viveras. Best bet is to speak to your old Ortho (or a new one may be better, seen as they never warned you about changing the retainers!) and just get your teeth checked over, hopefully you should be ok :)

misterblue

#3 Post by misterblue »

Thanks for the advice, hotsteve.

I'm seeing my dentist at the end of the month so I'll see what he says. He does Inman braces so he should know about retainers or at least recommend an ortho. I don't really have confidence in my last ortho now, especially his lack of communication when I contacted him with my worries. It's kind of weird how he didn't say replace the Vivera retainers every 3-6mths as it should've made him some money.

I've read elsewhere on the forum that Hawley retainers can also correct small relapses plus they're cheaper at £70 and can last a few years. So I'm thinking of getting those instead. Or even fixed retainers, not the standard straight wire but the flossable 'wavy' retainer I've seen photos of. I also googled LingLock flossable retainers but apparently they break a lot.

BTW what retainer are you using?

BraceFace2o1o

#4 Post by BraceFace2o1o »

misterblue wrote:.I've read elsewhere on the forum that Hawley retainers can also correct small relapses plus they're cheaper at £70
I cannot talk from personal experience but from what I have read over the years I thought that hawleys were the most expensive to replace. Maybe because they are made at a lab rather than at an Orthos office.

I also wonder what the difference is between essix and vivera retainers, I would guess the thickness.

It's so frustrating because I read SO many good and bad things about all retainers (hawley, clear and bonded) its making my decision hard!
Braces: Metal fixed upper and lower
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces Removed: August 2013 (after 33 months in braces)
Retainers: Upper & lower essix and lower bonded
My Story / Before & After photos

Ness817

#5 Post by Ness817 »

Vivera are Invisalign Brand, Essix are made usually in the Ortho's office, and Hawleys are made in labs, Usually...

I get braces tomorrow. When they come off, Getting Hawley for night wear and Vivera for daytime (work). All planned out with Ortho.

Vivera are made to cover just your teeth, from what I have seen of the Essix, they are larger, covering part of the gumline and look visable.