Face/Jaw Pressure Since Deband/ Essix Retainer. issues?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

dabrit

Face/Jaw Pressure Since Deband/ Essix Retainer. issues?

#1 Post by dabrit »

Hi,

I had my braces off back at the End of February which I had had for 3.5 years. I also had Leforte Sugery to fix my massive open bite and also palette expansion it has been quite the journey to say the least.

AnYways pretty much ever since my braces came off and I started wearing my essix retainers, my face never seems to feel relaxed and my jaw is the same way and always seems tense. I also mentioned this to my orthodontist and mentioned the fact that my back teeth just don't feel right when they are touching, they don't have solid contact it seems and feel like they slip around on each other. My orthodontist says they just need to settle?

It's now been 6 months since I've had my braces off and the problem doesn't seem any better, I've also noticed in the mirror that I have slight gaps on left side of my back teeth where as the right side all seems completely closed, I'm wondering if this is the issue and how it was my orthodontist never saw this, or though it was something that he should address. I'm now wondering if this is the reason for feeling like I don't have good contact, or is it the Essix retainer not allowing my teeth to settle properly??

Also this tension in my face is driving me crazy feels like my fascial muscles are being tugged really hard in all directions.

Can anyone shed some light as to what is going on here, and what if anything I can do to correct it?