Retainer and Gagging

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Chaplains Assistant

Retainer and Gagging

#1 Post by Chaplains Assistant »

So I got debraced yesterday and my bottom retainer (Hawley) is making me gag everytime I try to talk and it is hurting the right bottom under side of my tongue. If I want to talk at work without gagging I have to take it out. Is this normal or will it just take time?
Sentenced to 24 months
Upper & lower Metals
Braced on 8/23/2010
Debraced 7/23/12

hazybubbles

Re: Retainer and Gagging

#2 Post by hazybubbles »

It shouldn't be hurting your tongue. Go back and get it adjusted otherwise you are much more likely to just stop wearing it and then your teeth will move.

Chaplains Assistant

#3 Post by Chaplains Assistant »

Went back and they cut a wire off and shaved some of the acrylic off. It's doing much better. Now if the lisp will just go away :lol:
Sentenced to 24 months
Upper & lower Metals
Braced on 8/23/2010
Debraced 7/23/12

bushbaby

#4 Post by bushbaby »

The lisp will suddenly go away without you realising. I was debraced a month ago and have upper and lower hawley retainers for full time wear. The first three weeks I cursed them constantly. Then today I realised they haven't bothered me for a week and I can talk properly. Hang in there!