Retainer with a bite plate

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

BetsyBug

Retainer with a bite plate

#1 Post by BetsyBug »

It's really a little early for me to be working about my retainers. But I have a question for you all. When my ortho did my initial consultation he told me that because of my deep bite and tmj symptoms that I would have bite turbos to unload my jaw to help with the pain and correct my deep bite. Which I now have and it seems to me like I may have them forever lol. Then he said when I'm done he will make me two retainers one clear for the day and one for night that will have a plate behind my front teeth, a bite plate. My question is has anyone had this before? Is this to maintain the correction of my deep bite or is it more for night time clenching tmj stuff. I'm hoping that since they are keeping me in the turbos so long that I won't have much propped open with it but then again I might.
Elizabeth
Getting top and bottom traditional metal braces and bite turbos
correcting crowding, overbite, and TMJ on 3/6/2012
Turbos Removed 8/14/2012

Click for my story

Wireless

Re: Retainer with a bite plate

#2 Post by Wireless »

I also have a deep bite and have had some problems with relapse. This is harder to treat in adults than in growing patients since the jaw bone has developed. In my case I had braces starting at age 14, which was too late to change my jaw growth.

For adults, orthodontists can move teeth, but not correct the jaw problem. In my case, the deep bite was enough to cause my lower teeth to irritate the gum behind my front teeth. Even though treatment moved my teeth vertically, they have a natural tendency to go back to their original position from any jaw pressure on them. I had finished treatment a year ago and wore retainers only at night. Within several months there had been enough relapse to need further attention. I'm back to wearing retainers full time again that are clear Essix types. My lower has been sectioned so there is a gap where my molars will grow back out (propped open).

It sounds like your retainers are being designed to keep from having relapse after treatment and something you'll need to be careful with. Good luck!!

BetsyBug

Re: Retainer with a bite plate

#3 Post by BetsyBug »

Thanks for the reply, Wireless!!! Well its good to know that my ortho may have a plan to retain my new more open bite and not just torturing me with the bite plate....LOL. I actually didn't think it had as much to do with torture but I was curious if it was more tmj treatment or retention of my bite.
I still have quite a road ahead of me I'm on month 4 of a 18-20 month treatment time, so I guess for now I won't worry about my retainers :)
Elizabeth
Getting top and bottom traditional metal braces and bite turbos
correcting crowding, overbite, and TMJ on 3/6/2012
Turbos Removed 8/14/2012

Click for my story