Braces Off and Cannot Occlude Properly

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

tibia

Braces Off and Cannot Occlude Properly

#1 Post by tibia »

All,

I had my upper braces removed last year, and a permanent retainer was installed. As my lower teeth (which still had braces) began to come into place, I noticed that the tops of my lower-front teeth hit the retaining on my upper-front teeth. I didn't think too much about this at the time.

My lower braces were removed April 19, 2012, and I have the same problem: I cannot occlude properly because the tops of my lower-front teeth hit the upper retaining. I mentioned this to my orthodontist when the lower braces came off and also when I went back for "final pictures" in May. On both occasions, his response was that my bite needed to "settle in" and that everything would be fine. I can understand "settling in" if the molars and other teeth touched at all. But in my case, there is no tooth contact other than described above. I cannot chew properly.

I plan to make another appointment in a couple of weeks, after which time there can be no doubt that my bite will NOT "settle in." I'm hoping that removal of the upper retainer will solve the bite problem.

Has anyone else had this experience? Am I missing something?

Thanks for listening!

tibia

Re: Braces Off and Cannot Occlude Properly

#2 Post by tibia »

All,

After having braces for 18 months (removed in May 2012), today I'm starting treatment with a NEW orthodontist to correct the fact that my rear teeth do not meet. Unfortunately, another full fee. :(

hotsteve

Re: Braces Off and Cannot Occlude Properly

#3 Post by hotsteve »

ahh tibia that really sucks :( am sorry to hear that! I hope things go a little smoother for you this time around.