Just got Retainers

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

UhOh

Just got Retainers

#1 Post by UhOh »

So I had my braces removed yesterday and went back for some temporary clear retainers a few hours later. I will have to go in a few weeks to pick up my permanent retainers. I really hate the current retainers because I cant fully shut my jaw or if I do I shut my jaw it is in a weird angle. I kinda miss my braces because they weren't this bad.

Plus I am suffering from bad breath wearing these retainers. How can I resolve this issue? Will the permanent retainers I get in a few weeks be like this? I currently have the clear ones now.

hotsteve

Re: Just got Retainers

#2 Post by hotsteve »

Damn thats a shame, I am surprised they are that bad!

What type of retainers are your permenant ones going to be, do you know? e.g. hawleys (one with metal), essix (clear retainer), or bonded (metal glued to your back teeth)?

All have their pros/cons, but I imagine the hawleys and bonded would have least effect on your bite.

With regard to breath... just ensure you clean your retainer frequently (you can buy special retainer cleaner/freshener), whilst maybe increasing your oral hygene temporarily (i.e. brush your teeth and use mouth wash a little more than usual). If it gets really bad, have a chat with your dentist who can offer more alternatives.