Bite concerned after braces

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ronm

Bite concerned after braces

#1 Post by ronm »

I've had my braces off for probably about 6 years, wearing retainers every night after braces.

I'm starting to notices that my overbite and overjet are back. I'm also noticing that my upper retainer wire keeps going up to my gum line every night. Even my lower teeth are touching the back of my front teeth at the top every time I bite.

I'm concerned that I'm in for another round of braces... My orthodontist seems to say that everything looks fine, but I'm feeling skeptical about that.

Any advice?

Re: Bite concerned after braces

#2 Post by 33333 »

ronm wrote:I've had my braces off for probably about 6 years, wearing retainers every night after braces.

I'm starting to notices that my overbite and overjet are back. I'm also noticing that my upper retainer wire keeps going up to my gum line every night. Even my lower teeth are touching the back of my front teeth at the top every time I bite.

I'm concerned that I'm in for another round of braces... My orthodontist seems to say that everything looks fine, but I'm feeling skeptical about that.

Any advice?
This sounds scary. I'd feel so helpless if the overjet was so strong to push the wire up, then what's the point of wearing retainers?!

Logically, if your overjet really is back and the wire got pushed up, then there should be a gap between the wire and your teeth. Is that so?

Huggypillow

#3 Post by Huggypillow »

Perhaps you should consult another orthodontist, nobody knows our mouths like us and sometimes people ( professional or not ) like or want to maybe admit that something was not quite right that may have lead to a relaps.

You may be able to correct it with invisalign or something if you dont want to to back through brackets and wires again.

Sorry your in this situation if it were me i would not be happy

tibia

#4 Post by tibia »

I echo the recommendation to get an opinion from another orthodontist. I had evaluations by four different orthos before choosing the one I used. There recommendations were not all the same.

tibia

#5 Post by tibia »

Same advice from me. Consult another ortho. I had braces taken off in April, and now they're put back on by another ortho to correct wrongdoings of the first one.

Wireless

#6 Post by Wireless »

I have a similar problem with deep bite and after finishing Invisalign went to retainers at night. Unfortunately, retainers do not seem to do a good job of stopping vertical tooth movement. To correct the problem, my ortho modified my lower retainer to get my rear teeth to grow out again. It's working, but I wonder what will happen after they grow out? I'm back in retainers full time now for at least 6 months and am concerned that there could be a repeat when I finish and try to go back to night only.

Has anyone had problems where surgery was required for a relapse? Has anyone had recommendations of permanent retainers to keep teeth from moving back vertically?

Wireless

#7 Post by Wireless »

As a footnote, I have a problem with the shape of my lower jaw that was not corrected when I was pre-teen. This wasn't done back then. This is a reason for checking teeth for bite problems while in grade school in case correction is needed.

Nobody has ever mentioned jaw surgery, but my teeth won't stay put vertically.

plugnickel69

#8 Post by plugnickel69 »

My ortho discussed concerns with me regarding retention of rotations and extrusions before I started treatment. He talked about possibly bonding some teeth in place with a short wire and possible placing some attachments such as they do with invisalign so that the retainers will have something to latch on to to keep the teeth from intruding. He would do this in a non-visible manner. This would be done besides a permanent retainer on the lowers. I've got a while to go before we have further discussions on the matter.

Wireless

#9 Post by Wireless »

Plugnickel69, thanks for your comments. I was told at my evaluation that my condition would be difficult to correct and nearly impossible to hold, but my bite was bad enough to do damage to my gums and upper teeth so I had to get things corrected anyhow. I'm going back to my doc in November. He seems to dislike giving me bad news. Maybe some of the things you mentioned could help.

Thanks!!