How long did you have to wear elastics?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

sunnylocks

How long did you have to wear elastics?

#1 Post by sunnylocks »

I did a search but didn't see this anywhere so I'm asking. I know that elastics are generally the last phase of treatment for most cases but even if it wasn't, I'm curious to know how long you had to wear them? Did you have them in the same position the whole time or did you have multiple formations? And how long after you stopped wearing them, were your braces removed?

If you want to add more about your situation, or general synopsis of your before braces status, that would be great too!

Thanks for answering in advance!

wiredone

Re: How long did you have to wear elastics?

#2 Post by wiredone »

I wore elastics for a few months at the beginning of my braces process--they were placed on the hooks of the backs of my top row of teeth, and connected to the outside hooks of the bottom row of teeth to correct a slight crossbite. Now that my treatment is almost over, my ortho has given my the elastics again :roll:

scully

#3 Post by scully »

I'm only 5 months in, and my ortho has given me elastics... I'm supposed to be in braces for 2 years.

is that weird? :?

Mulder: Did you bring enough ice cream to share with the rest of the class?
Scully: It's not ice cream... it's non-fat tofutti rice dreamsicle.
Mulder: Ugh... I bet the air in my mouth tastes better than that.

Bracer215

#4 Post by Bracer215 »

I began wearing triangle shaped elastics (Switzerland) 8 weeks in to treatment and wore them for 8 months. They went from upper canine to lower canine and first premolar. At 10 months in I was switched to Class II elastics (Japan)- my orto uses countries- they go from the upper canines to the firs molars.

benj

#5 Post by benj »

I've worn braces for five years and elastics for a little over three of them. Ive worn four different size elastics, in different configurations depending on if they were treating my over bite or cross bite. Am now elastic free and due for de-band next month! I still sometimes slip an elastic on one side for a few hours if it feels like my bite is becoming a bit too open again.

sunnylocks

#6 Post by sunnylocks »

Thank you to all of those that replied! I was trying to get an idea of how long I might be in the elastics since they are to correct my cross bite. Going back in tomorrow, hoping for good news!

Weird

#7 Post by Weird »

[quote="benj"]I've worn braces for five years and elastics for a little over three of them. Ive worn four different size elastics, in different configurations depending on if they were treating my over bite or cross bite. Am now elastic free and due for de-band next month! I still sometimes slip an elastic on one side for a few hours if it feels like my bite is becoming a bit too open again.[/quote]

Oh that's a really long time you had to suffer, my friend. I wore elastics for a year or 1.5 year and braces for 2. Geez, that was a torture.

Btw, congrats and wish you good de-banding

methoddan

#8 Post by methoddan »

I wore elastics (triangle on both sides to slightly close my bite) after 6 months into treatment for 24 hours a day. Then after 5 weeks (today), my ortho told me that I could switch to nights only.
Braces on August 9, 2011
Braces off November 30, 2012

My braces story take #2

LoveOrtho

#9 Post by LoveOrtho »

I wore about a total of 1 year of braces because I got them about 6 months into treatment but I didn't have them in the middle for a bit, if that makes sense. I had 3 different configurations, Class II, Class II triangle and the canine triangle. Personally, elastics didn't really bother me but I definetly didn't like them, they made my teeth ache and my jaw all sore. :(

But in general, they really pulled my teeth together (well actually my jaw) so i really was just wearing them as much as i could... :D
~LoveOrtho
Braced since September 25th 2009!
Deband date: February 7th 2012
Getting retainer: February 9th 2012

NatashaDi

#10 Post by NatashaDi »

It was ten months for me

ronm

#11 Post by ronm »

I had Class II elastics for 21 of 24 months of my treatment. The last 6 months or so it was night time only.

MerryKate

#12 Post by MerryKate »

I had braces for 27 months, and I had elastics for the last 21 months. :lol: I also had a crossbite, so you may be looking forward to that as well. I didn't really mind them, tho, aside from a 6-week configuration that ran from the bicuspids to the 2nd molar - it got in the way of my tongue and caused me to lisp.
"Every tooth in a man's head is more valuable than a diamond." ~Miguel de Cervantes

LARRYBOY56

#13 Post by LARRYBOY56 »

I have been in varying configurations of elastics since the 2nd appointment. I am now 2 years in and hopefully, will be done soon. I am in Damon braces and my understanding is that the elastics are a common thing in conjunction with the "self-ligating" technology of the Damons.
Larry,

starfish88

#14 Post by starfish88 »

I'm only 4 weeks into braces and have started on elastics today. Will probably have them for most of my time in braces - thats 13 to 17 more months! I've not had elastics long but I can already feel loads of new pressure and hopefully movement!

16 months 1 week and 2 days in braces
12mm overjet and narrow jaws all fixed with braces and elastics.
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42441

Mareesey

#15 Post by Mareesey »

I only had a small over bite 4mm (is that the right measurement?) I've been wearing elastics since 4 weeks in I get my braces off in 2 days and I'm still wearing the elastics.