How long did you have to wear elastics?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

oldfart

Re: How long did you have to wear elastics?

#16 Post by oldfart »

Treatment 10-12 years ago. Elastics from day 1 to end of treatment.
Braces on: 2/25/2013. Braces Off: 12/23/2015
Current Retainers: Hawley Top, Essix Bottom, and Permanent Lingual Bottom

illay

#17 Post by illay »

do you all think elastic really do its job? i remember that i had class 2 elastic for a long time, when my ortho told me to stop use the elastic, about 1 month later the gap at the side will open again (overjet back again). so i really wonder whether elastic really pull the teeth as it should be or camouflage the jaw for a while.

TMJJill

#18 Post by TMJJill »

I've had elastics since the first month I got my braces. One configuration has stayed the same, others have changed up throughout treatment.

Braces as Phase II treatment for TMJD.
Lower mandibular repositioning splint 26 months.
Lower braces on 10.75 months into Phase II treatment.
Duration in braces: 2 years, 2 weeks, 5 days
Removal of Braces: September 18, 2013

TMJD treatment now complete!

BracedSurgeryStudent

#19 Post by BracedSurgeryStudent »

The whole time.
Jenn Medeiros

Keatingeb

#20 Post by Keatingeb »

I was wondering the same thing, I just got elastics today and the orthodontist said a couple of weeks... I’m dealing with an overbite and I’ve been in braces 16 months and it was supposed to be 2 years. I don’t know if it really is a couple of weeks (at least for my case) but it seemed an usually low number.

kplatt2010

#21 Post by kplatt2010 »

Hi There-I've been in braces for 2 1/2 years, orthognathic surgery 14 months post, and elastics for over 1 year. Six - eight weeks post surgery, I started wearing class 2 elastics, then box elastics two rounds, and now back to class 2 elastics. I was last told I would be out of the braces by end of summer. I thought by Thanksgiving when ortho gave me his estimate. Now I'm hoping by Christmas but not holding my breath on that one either.

I hope I'm not like some of the other posters and in braces for 5 to 8 years. Braces have become my new norm. :(

assertives

#22 Post by assertives »

I had to wear mine for 4 weeks, then my ortho said to stop when I went for my next appointment as he was working on something else. Now I'm in elastics again but only on one side for another 4 weeks and my ortho said I may have to wear another round of elastics on both sides later. So all in all I'm guessing about 3 months in elastics when all's said and done.

Mpkh

#23 Post by Mpkh »

Had braces for 22 months. 19 of those months were spent in elastics in different configurations, whether it be full time or night time wear.
Braced: April 07, 2017
Debraced: February 08, 2019
Sentence: 18-24 months
Actual time in braces: 22 months and 1 day
Reason: Straighten teeth, correct crossbite and edge-to-edge bite

http://myjourneyandlifewithbraces.blogspot.ca