Your bite.... the best form of retention?!

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

hotsteve

Your bite.... the best form of retention?!

#1 Post by hotsteve »

Bit of a background info... I applied for Inman Aligners >1yr ago, but was told I wasn't suitable. I have now decided to go for Invisalign, which hopefully I will start in the next 2 months (if all goes according to plan this time :wink: ).

It has been an epic amount of time since my last post, so hi again! :D

I recently read an article on retainers, suggesting that perhaps it is your own bite which is one of the most effective forms of retention.

This got me thinking... I look at my teeth now (I am pre-treatment), and when I bite together, my teeth have formed their own little spaces that make them sit strong together (my "occlusion" I guess!).

By wearing retainers 24/7 after treatment (which surely is the best way for at least a while), particularly essix-type retainers - will you be preventing your bite/occlusion from forming properly for the long term? And hence, prevent your teeth from 'finding their groove' and helping prevent relapse?

My dentist has said he will provide me with 3 Vivera (invisalign's essix type) at the end of my invisalign treatment. Having looked into these, it seems research suggests they become significantly less effective within 3-6 months, meaning 3 pairs will only last between 1-2 years. Combined with the issue of not being able to bite together, I wonder if they are really the best way to go?

Similarly, there are anectdotes from people saying how they have had problems with bonded and hawley retainers too. What really is the best long term solution? I am surprised that stronger/longer lasting retainers have not come as far technologically as the braces themselves!!

Steve :)

margarets

Re: Your bite.... the best form of retention?!

#2 Post by margarets »

"will you be preventing your bite/occlusion from forming properly for the long term? And hence, prevent your teeth from 'finding their groove' and helping prevent relapse?"

I think the whole point of orthodontia is to get your teeth into the correct position in the first place. The retainer then keeps them in place. You DON'T want your teeth to move after getting braces.

hotsteve

#3 Post by hotsteve »

Lol yeah maybe you are right. I'll see if I can find the article (it came from a few hours of googling invisalign lol) and post the link on here, was pretty short but thought it was quite interesting.

I guess the way I thought about it was not so much your teeth moving, more that biting together is important to get your teeth used to their new position. Like how a single upper molar, will get used to fitting nicely into the lower molar underneath it.

This is why I think maybe hawley retainers would be best, as they allow you to keep your bite natural when they're on - not sure though!

RMF7825

#4 Post by RMF7825 »

I have read about the various pros/cons of each type of retainer. Anything that allows your teeth to be in contact, such as the Hawly, would have an advantage in this regard. The bite is the best retention and for this teeth need to touch teeth.