Whitening

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

VA5

Whitening

#1 Post by VA5 »

I was debanded today (yay). I have some white spots on my two front teeth. My ortho said it isn't that noticeable and that I can't do anything about them.

However I still think that getting my teeth whitened would help b/c the area near my gums is pretty yellow... yuck.

How many of you get your teeth whitened after debanding and is there a certain amount of time I should wait to get it done? And, I wonder if the white-strips are just as good as the professional work by dentists? Thoughts?

Jethro

Re: Whitening

#2 Post by Jethro »

Congrats on getting debraced!! As for the whitening, my ortho gave the the ok to do it right after debanding, but people with gum sensitivity/inflammation should probably wait a few weeks.

I first used the Crest 3D 2-hour Express strips. I did see some improvement, but didn't get the results I was seeking, and the strips weren't long enough to cover all of my teeth. I then got a whitening kit from my dentist that utilizes custom trays (they look like flexible essix retainers) and 22% whitening gel. I did not experience any sensitivity ("zingers") and my teeth are several shades whiter. Not that day-glo Hollywood white, but decent considering how dingy my teeth were after over 2.5 years in braces. In hindsight, I would have done some whitening pre-braces as well.

VA5

#3 Post by VA5 »

Jethro wrote:Congrats on getting debraced!! As for the whitening, my ortho gave the the ok to do it right after debanding, but people with gum sensitivity/inflammation should probably wait a few weeks.

I first used the Crest 3D 2-hour Express strips. I did see some improvement, but didn't get the results I was seeking, and the strips weren't long enough to cover all of my teeth. I then got a whitening kit from my dentist that utilizes custom trays (they look like flexible essix retainers) and 22% whitening gel. I did not experience any sensitivity ("zingers") and my teeth are several shades whiter. Not that day-glo Hollywood white, but decent considering how dingy my teeth were after over 2.5 years in braces. In hindsight, I would have done some whitening pre-braces as well.
Oh good. 3d strips? Sounds very advanced! I ordered the regular whitening strips, hope they are good. Sorry they didn't work for you.. were your teeth really yellowed?

How much did the whitening kit cost from your dentist and how did it work.. did you have to do it at home only? How many times did you have to do it?

I feel like ever since my braces came off, you can barely see my teeth. I am hoping it's not b/c they retracted too much, but b/c the color isn't as bright as it could be. I don't want that day-glo white either so I will definitely check the whitening kits out.

felicia

#4 Post by felicia »

Dr. Rick once posted that it's recommended to wait 2 weeks before you do any whitening treatment.

Jethro

#5 Post by Jethro »

My teeth are not naturally bright white, and not being able to use any whitening products while wearing braces certainly didn't help. On the tooth shade chart my dentist had, they were on the darker (yellower) end. The whitening kit cost $175 (usd) and included taking molds for the custom trays and 12 whitening gel tubes. I used all 12 over a period of approx. a month and my teeth whitened several shades. You simply put a small drop of whitening gel on each tooth in the trays and wear them for about an hour for each treatment. I did this at home since you need to wipe off any gel that seeps onto your gums to prevent irritation.

I am very pleased with the results and have since ordered more whitening gels online (about $72 for 12) to keep them looking good. I even got 2 random compliments on my teeth...that never happened before the whitening.

Chicagogal

#6 Post by Chicagogal »

I got mine off TODAY!! (10-25-11) and my ortho said I could start over-the-counter whitening right away, but just pay close attention to my already sore and puffy gums. Once my gums get back to normal and I get a few days of brushing with a sensetivity toothpaste underway, I'll start the 20% opulence trays.
Update: 4-2013 Back in Brackets :(
lower braces: 3/2/10
hyrax palate expander: 3/29/10
upper braces: est. 6/2010 (8/6/10 actual)
bone plate surgery: 1/2011 actual
bone plate removal: 7/2011 actual
Debracing: 10-25-11 ACTUAL!!! advanced hawley retainer
Rebracing: 4-3-13...front teeth rotated #2s lifted.

felicia

#7 Post by felicia »

I did the AQUAFRESH WHITE TRAYS. I am very happy with the results. Why pay hundreds of dollars when 29.99 gives amazing results?

Marley

#8 Post by Marley »

I went to my dentist after my first time in braces and paid $400 or so for the whitening. What a waste! My teeth went back to the exact same shade. I have seen people who use Crest White strips with results just as good. I say try the cheaper ones first!