Calling All Hawley Retainer Wearers--Help Please.

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

TumbleDryLow

Calling All Hawley Retainer Wearers--Help Please.

#1 Post by TumbleDryLow »

Ok this is going to sound like a really dumb question but here it goes: What methods to you guys use to get your Hawley retainers out of your mouth?

Now for the background.
I've had a Essex retainer for the past year but my bite isn't settling so my ortho made me a Hawley and I just picked it up yesterday. The assistant had me put it in and take it out once at the office and I could barely get it out of my mouth. I had to dig the fingernails on my thumbs into the loopy wire on the canines to pry the retainers out. I had to use so much force yesterday at the office to get the stupid things out that the skin under my nails was still hurting this morning and I couldn't use that method again. (I'm really putting a lot of force on the wire doing that so this doesn't seem like the best way to get them out anyway). So this morning I tried to scoop them out by sticking my fingers under the acrylic behind the teeth. However I have a very small upper arch so that's easier said then done. After spending about a minute on each arch prying and wiggling and prying and wiggling I got them out. The bottom came out with so much force I stabbed my thumb and it bled for 5 min. WTF? What am I doing wrong? It CAN'T be this difficult! Is it just b/c they're new and need to loosen up a bit or what?

Jethro

Re: Calling All Hawley Retainer Wearers--Help Please.

#2 Post by Jethro »

Hey TDL,

I know what you mean, those Hawley's can be stubborn, especially at first. My ortho gave me explicit instructions not to remove by putting force on the (anterior) loops as this can distort the retainer. Instead, I pull down on on both sides of the (posterior) wires between the molars simultaneously, dislodging the upper retainer. I don't have a bottom Hawley (Essix instead) but I think the same process, except pulling upwards, should work. Good luck!

TumbleDryLow

#3 Post by TumbleDryLow »

Thanks for your reply.
I decided to call the ortho and tell them the trouble I was having. They said to come back in. This morning they did some filing down of the retainer and OMG---sooooo much easier to remove. I mean they're still snug, but at least I won't be impaling myself trying to get them off in the morning.

Takako

#4 Post by Takako »

My ortho told me the ONLY proper way was using the two loops. I have two loops on my top hawley above my canines, and similar loops over my bottom canines. I push down on the loops to get the top off, and push up on the bottoms to get the bottom out. I was told never to take the retainer out by pushing with my tongue, and to never pull on the front arch wire on the top or bottom. The loops or hooks or whatever you want to call them are purposely there to get the retainer out.

TumbleDryLow

#5 Post by TumbleDryLow »

I gave up on my Hawley. I'm back to my Essex. My bite is still a bit off b/c of it, but I can live with it.

I was using the loops as you do Takako to take off the hawley, but the retainer was so tight after taking them out and putting them back in a few times I found that those loops no longer sat snug on my canines---meaning my canines could drift forward. The Essex is just so much easier to use. I know there are a lot of Essex haters out there but I really like mine and am sticking with it.

danwagner

#6 Post by danwagner »

I'm a few months away from getting my braces off. I'm 30 years old and a systems instructor for a software company. I have heard lots of opinions on what types of retainers to use. My concerns, in no particular order, are:

1) Ability to keep my teeth clean after the braces are off

2) How well will it keep my teeth aligned after the braces are off?

3) Speech impediment and ability to overcome it

Can anyone give me some ideas on what I can do? Public speaking in my classes is very important to my job, but I only want what's best. Too much time and money has been invested to let something get in the way of what I really want. Thank you if any of you can help!