start of a crack in my essix

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

felicia

start of a crack in my essix

#1 Post by felicia »

I recently noticed the start of a crack and a dent in my upper essix retainer. It it in a very unusual place....on the outside surface of my canine. There is no way that could have happen during the night when sometimes I clench my jaw. I just cannot explain the crack. I certainly did not drop it, actually I'm being very careful with my retainers. For you guys to understand the way it looks...it's exactly like the start of a crack in the car windshield.
I'm only supposed to see my ortho in December, but I'm thinking if the crack gets bigger I should go see him sooner.
Any similar experiences?

KUMonkeyMomma

Re: start of a crack in my essix

#2 Post by KUMonkeyMomma »

Mine has a small crack right on my front tooth - like you, even when I grind at night it'd be on my back teeth, not front.

I just got new impressions today to get a new top retainer made. The molds from my last ones broke when they made the retainer. I didn't get mine from invisalign because I had some cosmetic stuff done after my last tray (bonding, shaping, etc) so my last tray couldn't be used as a retainer until they came in - so my office did them at their facility (they make trays for whitening, etc so have the equipment I assume to do them) so I could have them the next day.

I don't think it's overly common but it does happen!
Donna
Started treatment 9/2/09
Treatment finished 4/27/11