Whitening after braces?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

NiTirannosaurus

Whitening after braces?

#1 Post by NiTirannosaurus »

I've never had my teeth whitened before, but I would like to try it once after I get my braces off (there is some staining by some of the brackets that I don't want to detract from my newly straightened teeth). Anyone have any advice on this? Can I get them whitened the same day the braces come off?

magopa

Re: Whitening after braces?

#2 Post by magopa »

Not sure about having them whitened the same day the braces come off, but I asked my ortho's assistant if I had to wait a certain amount of time before whitening and she said no. I had my braces off on June 1st and just had my whitening trays made today at my dentist's office.

Jethro

#3 Post by Jethro »

I was debraced about a month ago and got the green light from my ortho to proceed with whitening. She indicated that people with gum inflammation/sensitivity should wait about a month or so.

I had a cleaning with my regular dentist a week later and had molds made for the whitening trays. I picked up the trays and whitening kit a few days later. I had NEVER used any whitening products before, and after over 2.5 years in braces, my teeth looked pretty dingy (yellow). My dentist said I should see a significant improvement, but that my teeth would never be that super bright white you see on tv (that was never my goal).

After using the six whitening treatments contained in the kit according to the directions, my teeth look several shades whiter and I am very pleased with the results. I have ordered refill kits to maintain my new smile. My dentist uses the Venus White Pro (22%) kits, although I know there are many others on the market.

NiTirannosaurus

#4 Post by NiTirannosaurus »

I guess I'm really unfamiliar with the whitening process these days, I thought it was an in office procedure. But I guess they make trays that fit your teeth that you take home and use over time? I'll have to read up about this. Thanks:)

Chicagogal

#5 Post by Chicagogal »

There are definitely in office procedures as well. Sometimes called "laser whitening" a common name brand for this type is "zoom" teeth whitening if you want to google it. I don't want to wait more than a minute post-debanding to whiten, but I have sensitive gums so i'm sure I'm one of the ones who should give my gummy's time.
Update: 4-2013 Back in Brackets :(
lower braces: 3/2/10
hyrax palate expander: 3/29/10
upper braces: est. 6/2010 (8/6/10 actual)
bone plate surgery: 1/2011 actual
bone plate removal: 7/2011 actual
Debracing: 10-25-11 ACTUAL!!! advanced hawley retainer
Rebracing: 4-3-13...front teeth rotated #2s lifted.

lindesd

#6 Post by lindesd »

I had my braces off on May 5th, and received a good cleaning along with a whitening kit with professional molded trays 19 days later. I would have done it sooner, but I couldn't get into see my hygenist and dentist before then. My ortho didn't say anything about waiting.

petal

#7 Post by petal »

I just got my braces off yesterday. My ortho gave me the go ahead to whiten my teeth. My dentist recommended using a product like listerine pre brush whitening rinse. My teeth look white and gorgeous!

DrBlur

#8 Post by DrBlur »

This is good to read...I got my braces off 3 days ago and I've been planning on whitening them after braces for the last year.
32 years old, total time in braces=30 months

-Braces and palate expander on 4/15/10
-RPE Surgery 9/15/10
-Expander removed 3/11
-Braces Removed 9/7/12
-Retainers in 9/7/12

LAJaw

#9 Post by LAJaw »

I was debraced a couple of months ago and also need to get my teeth whitened. A few questions:
- How much do trays go for?
- Did your teeth get really sensitive? (mine are still kind of sensitive from getting debraced)
- And has anyone just used their essix retainer instead of getting a tray made?
Uppers braced April 15, 2010.
Wisdom teeth extracted April 30, 2010.
Lowers braced May 12, 2010.
BSSO & 3-piece LeFort I April 22, 2011.
Braces off July 3, 2012!!
My surgery blog: http://jeremiahjaw.wordpress.com

Jethro

#10 Post by Jethro »

I had posted my experience re: whitening above and thought I'd update. I'm still very pleased with the results of the initial whitening and do maintenance whitening treatments with the original trays about every 6 months.

@DrBlur: Congrats on getting debraced!

@ LAJaw: Congrats on getting debraced! My dentist charges $200 (USD) for the custom trays and whitening gels. I have ordered replacements (gels) online for about $46 for a 6 cartridge pkg. I have only experienced very mild, temporary sensitivity during the whitening process. The custom trays are more flexible and fit closer to the teeth than my essix retainers, so I think they are a better choice for whitening. There doesn't seem to be a consensus re: using the essix trays for whitening, but my ortho advised against it.

DrBlur

#11 Post by DrBlur »

@Jetrho, thanks! :D

I'm going to do it probably after my next cleaning, which is in a couple of months.
32 years old, total time in braces=30 months

-Braces and palate expander on 4/15/10
-RPE Surgery 9/15/10
-Expander removed 3/11
-Braces Removed 9/7/12
-Retainers in 9/7/12