Scared to have braces removed?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Lanna

Scared to have braces removed?

#1 Post by Lanna »

Hello! It's been a while since I've posted and I finally have a debrace day after 3 years of treatment! Woohoo! BUT! I'm actually almost freaking out. :shock: While I'm excited to be getting them off, I'm really scared too. What if my teeth relapse?! What if they look horrible and they aren't ready to be out of braces yet? I keep having this image of me getting them off and my teeth looking horrible the next day. What is wrong with me? haha, I hope this is normal because I can't believe that I'm so afraid of this after all this time. Apparently I'm getting a permanent retainer on the bottom 4-6 teeth and an essix for the top. I feel like I need a retainer for both, just in case. My teeth were really bad and I don't want any of them moving, not even the back teeth, so I'm thinking I may request a removable retainer for the bottom also. I originally wanted a Hawley retainer because I had read that they retain the teeth better, but now I'm hearing the opposite?

lilfoot1112

Re: Scared to have braces removed?

#2 Post by lilfoot1112 »

Hey Lanna all the feeling you are having are totaly normal Im having them to :) so your not alone we both have been in are prison for some time and it olny human that we start to freak out now that we are do to be free soon :-* just remember your ortho know what s/he is doing that what we are paying them for right? :lol: lol If your feeling unsure about your retainer ask your ortho for one on the bottom along with your permanent one my sister is also braces and she getting free this June and she getting a permanent on the bottom along with a essix and Im getting both set of retainers Im going to start with essixs and 3 weeks later Im going to get my Hawley and for me I much rather have a Hawley :D but the just me :D just think your going to have a BEAUTIFUL when this is all over so let hold are head up and try not to be afraid :BigGrin:

I had my braces on for 3 years 4 months and 24 days that would be a grand total of 1220 days

Lanna

#3 Post by Lanna »

Thank you!! :D

Crazy4Snow

#4 Post by Crazy4Snow »

Congratulations! I can't wait to get mine off and I've only had them for 10 days, ugh!

My orhto already told me that I would be in retainers for the rest of my life. Starting at 22 hours per day for 6 months and then very slowly dropping off to where I'll only have to wear them at night.

I don't mind them because the retainers they're giving me are like Invisaligns and I can also use them to bleach my teeth. :)

Good luck!

My story in this forum:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=38942

Braced: 4/7/2011
Metal Upper & Lower
Sentence: 18-24 months
Removal Date: 9/4/13

tashay1985

#5 Post by tashay1985 »

i thought i was the only one! i feel the exact same way, one more month left and im going crazy in the mirror being so critical of my teeth and looking for any sign of imperfection. every one thinks im crazy and that my teeth look great but im still thinking my teeth look a little funny lol i guess its just anxiety and worrying if my teeth will move too :/ im so very excited to get them off i just want them to look as best as they can be, good luck and please post pics!!! :tingrin:

lindesd

#6 Post by lindesd »

I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND! I was told today that my braces would be coming off on May 5th. Exactly 3yrs and 3mo to the very day. Needless to say, I am very excited but scared $HITLESS at the same time. So, maybe we are both nuts :crazy: LOL!

Lanna

#7 Post by Lanna »

Haha, thanks you guys are so great :lol:
I am definitely getting more nervous now with only 4 days to go. How are you guys doing now? :P

Justiz

#8 Post by Justiz »

I just got mine off today and I can totally relate. I was having nightmares about it and everything. Definitely a lot easier than Ithought it would be so Ithink the anxiety got the best of me on the days leading up. There's nothing to fear and in my case, my teeth look so much better than I ever imagined. Had no idea teeth could be transformed soo much. Good luck to you! The end result is worth it! :D

De-Brace Day: May 31, 2011 :) WOO HOO!!!
Essix retainer; Bonded Retainer on 2 Front Teeth
Braces- upper- October 1, 2009; lower- December 1, 2009
18 months to the day!

Sayrah

#9 Post by Sayrah »

I'm getting mine off in less than 2 weeks now, and as the date gets closer, I keep getting more and more nervous, mainly because I'm worried I won't like the way they look or they'll just go wild and start moving all over the place. I know that I'm probably being silly, but the thought teeth being free to do whatever they want to makes me so nervous!

loradora

#10 Post by loradora »

They're not so free to move around when you have your retainer on. You must wear them according to ortho's instructions or they will move. Good luck.

ibraceface

#11 Post by ibraceface »

I am terrified, too! I had 4 teeth removed and a canine exposed.. and I have dreams that I wake up the day after I get my braces off and my gaps have opened back up and my canine magically moves back to the roof of my mouth. LOL!!

I have had my braces almost 4 years, they are so apart of who I am now.. I won't know what to do with myself when I dont spend an hour picking food out of my teeth, having to call my ortho 3 million times a month, spending forever and a day flossing... oh wait, I imagine I'll be JUST fine! :)

Bullfighter

#12 Post by Bullfighter »

ibraceface wrote:... I have had my braces almost 4 years, they are so apart of who I am now.. I won't know what to do with myself when I dont spend an hour picking food out of my teeth, having to call my ortho 3 million times a month, spending forever and a day flossing... oh wait, I imagine I'll be JUST fine! :)
Whoa ... so I might actually have to get a "to go" box at restaurants instead of just storing it all in my braces. Hadn't thought of that. So much for spontaneous intra-oral snacking... :shock: