Two Retainers?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

11lp

Two Retainers?

#1 Post by 11lp »

Hi I am getting my braces off in one week. Yay I can't wait! My ortho doc suggests me to use the removable clear retainers as I am a compliant patient, but I have seen people using two types of removable retainers, clear (Essix) and Hawley. Could people share with me the pros and cons of using the two kinds? Will there be extra if I request the two types of retainers?

jrm

Re: Two Retainers?

#2 Post by jrm »

I just received my retainers today. I can tell you there is a difference in price depending on what retainer who are wearing. The essix i believe is similar to a tru-tain retainer its clear that usually is cheaper than the hawley which i wear on my bottom teeth. My orthodontist told me that the hawley can be tweeked ar adjusted in the office. A essix i assume doesn't usually need any adjustment.

11lp

#3 Post by 11lp »

Did your orthodontist recommend you to use the clear ones? It sounds like you are using both - clear one on the top and Hawley on the bottom? How does that work?

jrm

#4 Post by jrm »

I'm wearing a clear retainer on my top teeth because of teeth eruption which could happen if like me had my wisdom teeth removed last Sept i'm in my mid 30's. Along with my 4 wisdom teeth removed i had 2 molars removed as well because my bottom wisdom teeth came in sideways therefore shifting all my bottom teeth and destroyed my molars. Since my top molars are free floating now there is no pressure when i bite down. I can tell you that i was quite surprised on how comfortable both retainers are despite being different. When i wear my hawley it barely felt like i was wearing it. The clear one is more like a plastic shell covering your teeth. I had been a night grinder for many years and I can tell you its nothing like wearing a nightguard. That was very bulky and uncomfortable. I just have to wear my retainers at night. Since i'm brand new to this that's all the info i can give you.