essix retainer cracked after 5 mths?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

rolo

essix retainer cracked after 5 mths?

#1 Post by rolo »

Hi

My essix upper retainer has several cracks in after only 5 mths of wear. I don't grind my teeth, cleaned daily with retainer brite according to instructions on packet, is this normal? It's been stored in a case when not in use, not eaten etc with it in. The lower one has one very small possible crack at the back, but could work for a while yet. It seems quiite expensive to replace this often. When I spoke to the receptionist this morning she told me this was normal and depends on bite, but I thought that was what I had paid them to correct! The lab would not cover the cost as they know the product doesn't last long, it would be covered by the NHS but I am a private patient so it's not, unless I can persuade the orthodontist otherwise. Should I just accept this as normal? Any suggestions??? My ortho doesn't think other types of retainer would do as good a job.

TumbleDryLow

Re: essix retainer cracked after 5 mths?

#2 Post by TumbleDryLow »

That sucks! I don't know if only getting 5 months of wear is "normal" but I do know that Essex retainers just don't last as long as Hawleys. I'm not a grinder either, but I know that I inadvertently bite into the retainer while I'm sleeping. Plus how strong can that little piece of plastic really be? I don't expect my Essex to last very long either, and when I need a new retainer (notice the "when" not the "if") I am demanding a Hawley. A Hawley will last you 10+ years, and from what I have read, it's bogus to claim they don't work as well. Many orthodontists still use and love them including Dr. Rick who posts here on the boards. Many of my friends still wear their Hawley retainers and their teeth are still perfect. Given that the Essex only lasted you 5 months, I'd (politely) demand a Hawley if I were you.

drrick

#3 Post by drrick »

Small cracks are not a big deal. Most are caused by nightime clenching (which many poepl do not know they are doing)
That couopled with the flex that occurs when you remove them and the fact that overall they just arent that durable can lead to cracks. this is one of the disadvantages of essix over hawley (the advantage is obviously esthetics)
I typically replace them for 1 yr for free (within reason) and then the pt pays after but every doc will have a different policy on this.

I have several pts in daytime essix (for esthetics) and nightime hawley (durability)
Developer of:
The Powerprox Six Month Braces(R) Technique
http://sixmonthbraces.com/

Powerprox Six Month Braces(R)on ABC News

TimSeattle

#4 Post by TimSeattle »

I've had Essix retainers for four years that are still in good shape. I talked to someone at the ortho office who was on her 7th year with the same Essix retainers.
"Every tooth in a man's mouth is more valuable than a diamond" Don Quixote

Braces On: 5/2004
Braces Off: 3/2007

rolo

#5 Post by rolo »

Thanks, I did take these in an out a lot as required to wear during the day and so every time I needed to eat or drink they came out, although it's night time only now. They didn't offer to replace free of charge, which was disappointing, so I've given it one more go, however, I've asked for the new retainer to be like the first set I had, prior to having a crown replaced, this was much clearer and a lot less air bubbles and trimmed around the teeth, I will see how this goes, and hopefully this was a one off bad experience. If the same occurs I may go elsewhere next time. I did ask about alternative types of retainer, but they weren't keen, so I guess it's best to stick with what is recommended for my particular case.

Wireless

#6 Post by Wireless »

I have temporary Essix retainers to replace my last Invisalign trays. Like other posting here, mine are developing a number of cracks after a few months. I may be clenching some at night. Also, these cover only my 8 front teeth as there are elastics on my rear teeth trying to get my uppers and lowers to grow together. I have gaps between my uppers and lowers that my doc is trying to get to close.

I do plan to check on this problem at my next appointment as my upper aligner is cracked around my first premolars on both sides. Would like to address this as well as some way to speed up closing the gaps in the rear. I don't know how much cracking is permissible before treatment problem start.

LilyVictoria

#7 Post by LilyVictoria »

rolo wrote:
> Hi
>
> My essix upper retainer has several cracks in after only 5 mths of wear. I
> don't grind my teeth, cleaned daily with retainer brite according to
> instructions on packet, is this normal? It's been stored in a case when not
> in use, not eaten etc with it in. The lower one has one very small possible
> crack at the back, but could work for a while yet. It seems quiite
> expensive to replace this often. When I spoke to the receptionist this
> morning she told me this was normal and depends on bite, but I thought that
> was what I had paid them to correct! The lab would not cover the cost as
> they know the product doesn't last long, it would be covered by the NHS but
> I am a private patient so it's not, unless I can persuade the orthodontist
> otherwise. Should I just accept this as normal? Any suggestions??? My ortho
> doesn't think other types of retainer would do as good a job.

Yes, it is normal. Just observe it daily, if it is increasing or something something else. Otherwise, it is very normal in every case.