essix won't come off :(

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

haywire

essix won't come off :(

#1 Post by haywire »

hello i got debraced today. i got an essix retainer for my uppers and i can't take it off to eat, each time i try it hurts and it feels like it's gonna come off with my teeth in it !!! any tips? how should i do it? my ortho took it off once to show me but she did it very fast.. :(

edit: i managed to take it off..but it took me 4-5 minutes. still need tips
MY STORY
Braces on 23/07/2009
Braces off 10/12/2010

part time essix hater.

LB

Re: essix won't come off :(

#2 Post by LB »

Hi there. My first advice would be to not expect it to be pain free - your teeth will have moved a bit and some pain taking off the retainer is normal. My ortho was very reassuring on this point. He showed me the best way to remove it and it seems to work for me. You have to get your finger behind your teeth and at the back (near your wisdom tooth if you have them) - helps if you have fingernails. Pull it down gently until it comes slightly loose and then do the same on the other side of your mouth. Then gently pull your retainer off, from one side or the other. I never pull it off evenly as that is painful, but always from one side. You'll still experience a bit of pain when you're taking it off, but that will get less as your teeth settle. Hope this helps!

hal2me

#3 Post by hal2me »

Congratulations Haywire! Welcome to the club! When I first got my Essix retainers, the ortho had to take them out for me twice. He reassured me that after a few days, it won't be so painful and easier to get off.

Like LB suggested, pull with your fingernails in the back to loosen the retainer and then remove from side to side. This will get easier in time. Trust me! My first day alone with them I was crying in pain because I could not get them out. My husband felt so bad because he could not help me. Eventually, I tried the method LB mentioned and they came out.

The retainers really suck at first, but like the braces, you get used to them in time.

Congrats to you! Did you post any photos? I'd love to see them! Mine can be found on a thread named:

Debanded 11/23 With Pics

haywire

#4 Post by haywire »

hello

you are right, it's way easier now to take them out than it was on the first day. it takes me 15 seconds and it doesent hurt anymore. but i still hate it a little :mrgreen: i love how my teeth feel and look without the retainer and i can't speak 100% perfect with it

what about cleaning the retainer ? i don't have that sonicbrite people talked about on the forum, how do you clean yours ? and how long do you have to wear it 24/7 in your case?

i have posted pictures on my story topic (signature), on the last page
MY STORY
Braces on 23/07/2009
Braces off 10/12/2010

part time essix hater.

hal2me

#5 Post by hal2me »

Haywire, your teeth look amazing! Great results! I rinse my retainers with water and use a toothbrush without toothpaste to clean them. The toothpaste can scratch the retainer and make it look cloudy.

My retainers make me lisp really bad! I love how my teeth look without them too, but we have to do it! :D

I've been instructed to wear my retainers 12 hours a day. I put them in after dinner and don't take them out until I have breakfast the following day. On the weekends, I wear them as long as I am home. The ortho told me not to take them out of the house unless it's to the office so I don't lose them.

How have you been instructed to wear yours? At night only?

haywire

#6 Post by haywire »

thanks

i've been instructed to wear it like this:

first week 24/7
second week 16 hours per day

after those 2 weeks i'll be starting to wear it just by night, don't know exactly for how long. i'm meeting my ortho in february to see my teeth
MY STORY
Braces on 23/07/2009
Braces off 10/12/2010

part time essix hater.

hal2me

#7 Post by hal2me »

Okay, I've had my retainers now for 3 weeks and I still hate them. Do you?

haywire

#8 Post by haywire »

i don't hate it so much anymore :P

i hated it mostly because my gums on the right side got swollen and they hurt pretty bad. the thing is i'm not sure the essix caused that, i had molar bands and when they came off a little space remained between my molars. food got stock there, i think that's what caused the pain. i flossed and i cleaned between them very well and my gums don't hury anymore. i'm also happy that now i can take my retainer out during the day (8 hours this week). it feels tight for 2 minutes when i put it back on, but it doesen't hurt. i also got used with getting them out
MY STORY
Braces on 23/07/2009
Braces off 10/12/2010

part time essix hater.