Is a week without retainers long enough for teeth to move?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

macgirl4ever

#1 Post by macgirl4ever »

I'm really glad my ortho did retainers and debanding on the same day just because I know I would be having the same thoughts as you! We got our braces off the same day so this is what I've noticed with my retainer: my teeth actually look better now than after debanding partly because my ortho made slight adjustments to my retainers at debanding. Your ortho can probably correct any misalignment that might have occurred this week when you get your retainers day after tomorrow! Enjoy NOT having a retainer for awhile because while I will follow through with correct wear, it is not very convenient.
Braced: 20 months March 2009-November 2010

hal2me

#2 Post by hal2me »

Hi pinkfrost!

I got my braces off the day after you! My ortho told me my teeth my shift a little during the week long wait for my retainer. The retainer will put your teeth right back where they belong. I was also afraid of this as well.

Do you catch yourself staring at your teeth to see if they moved at all? I do! :lol:

trossi

Re: Is a week without retainers long enough for teeth to mov

#3 Post by trossi »

Thats good that the retainer will correct any additional movement of the teeth. I wasn't too good with wearing my retainers so my teeth are not as perfectly straight as they were right when the braces came off. They still look great though.

UGHBRACES

Re: Is a week without retainers long enough for teeth to mov

#4 Post by UGHBRACES »

My teeth move with just a few hours without my retainer. Its not visibly noticeable, but I can feel the difference in the way my bite comes together when I first put the retainer in. Then after an hour or so with the retainer in, my bite feels right again.