How long did your Essix retainers last?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

wearetheborg

How long did your Essix retainers last?

#1 Post by wearetheborg »

The local ortho took impressions for replacing my replacement retainers with which he was not happy about. Claimed Hawley retainers were outdated and essix type worked much better. Sigh :(

I need to hunt for a good ortho. Oh, how I miss my original ortho!!!!

almost50

#2 Post by almost50 »

I'm surprised to hear that.

Just got my retainers a few days ago. When reviewing the options with my orthodontist he said the hawleys would last longer.

drrick

#3 Post by drrick »

Hawleys are great retainers. In fact they are the gold standard in retainers.

Their popularity has decreased in recent years d/t the fact that essix ret's are more cosmetic but in many ways Hawleys are far superior to essix rets.
Developer of:
The Powerprox Six Month Braces(R) Technique
http://sixmonthbraces.com/

Powerprox Six Month Braces(R)on ABC News

wearetheborg

#4 Post by wearetheborg »

drrick wrote:Hawleys are great retainers. In fact they are the gold standard in retainers.

Their popularity has decreased in recent years d/t the fact that essix ret's are more cosmetic but in many ways Hawleys are far superior to essix rets.
I know!!!
I lost faith in this ortho as soon as I hear his comment on hawleys.

macgirl4ever

#5 Post by macgirl4ever »

When I was a teen, I chewed holes in my essix within a year (I was one stressed out kid) and my lateral bite was never as good as it was with braces. I was also given a Hawley retainer but it was left in a napkin somewhere less than a week after I got it. My brother, however, is on his second Hawley in 15 years and his teeth look exactly the same as they did when he was 13. This time around I've asked for both a Hawley and Essix again.

Question: I know Hawley does much better with settling the teeth, but do the teeth still settle if you only wear the Hawley at night and essix during the day?
Braced: 20 months March 2009-November 2010

drrick

#6 Post by drrick »

Setling wil be 'better' with hawley wear only since there is nothing on the biting surface of the teeth. Having said that there often isnt that much settling (if any) needed and the essix during the day can be worn.
Developer of:
The Powerprox Six Month Braces(R) Technique
http://sixmonthbraces.com/

Powerprox Six Month Braces(R)on ABC News

TumbleDryLow

#7 Post by TumbleDryLow »

I'm also concerned about my Essex wearing out prematurely. Plus I don't think it's aesthetically pleasing at all. It's noticeable. I looks like what it is. That you are wearing something plastic on your teeth. In that case I'd rather just have the Hawley--have it last 10+ years--and be done.

Before I was debraced I spoke to the ortho assistant and told her I'd prefer a Hawley and she looked at me like I was crazy. Told me that Essex is much much better, that the Hawley was "outdated technology". (Yup. Really said that.) Grrrrr.

My bite needs settling, adjusting, or something b/c it's feeling more and more weird every day--like my molars no longer fit together properly. The stupid Essex is preventing any settling from happening. I plan on complaining loudly about my bite at my retainer check up and beg on bended knee for a Hawley.

shinyRiver

#8 Post by shinyRiver »

my old ortho said hawleys were the way to go. he was very young (20 something) and just graduating from ortho college. he said they help maintain your bite better than essix because they allow your teeth to touch and that they last longer.

he said his wife still had the SAME hawleys that she had in high school! amazing!

I really want hawleys, but my new ortho gave me essix. I'll mention hawleys at my next appointment. I really want hawleys.

bracesgr4l

Re: How long did your Essix retainers last?

#9 Post by bracesgr4l »

I switched from the clear retainers to the Hawleys and I like them much better. The clear ones really don't last. Mine wore out after about a year.