Retainers not touching teeth

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

wearetheborg

Retainers not touching teeth

#1 Post by wearetheborg »

I got two lateral incisor implants; the prosthodontist grinded the retainers(hawley) to take out the fake teeth that were there before.
He may have grinded a bit too much as the plastic surface of the retainer covers now only half of the right central incisor (the left central incisor seems to be fine).
Will this case problems with the right central incisor? I'm afraid that the incisor may move or rotate as there is no plastic holding it back.

The prostodontist feels it should be fine, and the dental surgeon says I do not need retainers now; but I am not sure...

SDFD TSchott

#2 Post by SDFD TSchott »

I would say get ahold of the Orthodontist and voice your concerns with them if you can, they can give you a solid answer to if you still need it, and will the modified retainer cause any issues.

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

wearetheborg

#3 Post by wearetheborg »

SDFD TSchott wrote:I would say get ahold of the Orthodontist and voice your concerns with them if you can, they can give you a solid answer to if you still need it, and will the modified retainer cause any issues.

I would have visited the ortho, but he is now in another country. I would SO like to meet the ortho (its been 1 year since my ortho checkup).