Loose teeth after treatment - Braces or Inman Aligner

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

hotsteve

Loose teeth after treatment - Braces or Inman Aligner

#1 Post by hotsteve » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:40 am

Hey guys :)

I'm interested to know for how long (if at all) have peoples teeth feel wobbly/loose after their treatment? How long before biting into hard foods was not a problem?

I'm planning on getting Inman Aligners... For the dentally-concerned amongst us, please turn away now lol...

...I recently became aware from my dentist that there's a possibility (With any othodontic treatment, admitedly!) of damaging the tooth root, leading to permenently "wobbly" or loose teeth. As you may have seen from another of my posts, this happens to be a huge fear of mine, despite never otherwise having a fear of dentistry!! However in contrast to my dentist, my ortho has said this is never a permenant problem, only temporary - I'm not sure if he's just saying this to get my money or if he truly has never encountered this problem!

drrick

#2 Post by drrick » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:27 pm

I think there is a slight communication issue.

The teeth WILL get 'loose' during treatment. They have to get loose to move.. The teeth then 'tighten up' during retention.

There is something called root resorption which is a shortening of the roots that can occur during orthodontic treatment. If you do a search on it here I posted some lengthy information on it fairly recently.

It seldom occurs enough to cause a problem but again read my post on it as it will likely answer many of your questions and perhaps alleviate some of your fears.
Developer of:
The Powerprox Six Month Braces(R) Technique
http://sixmonthbraces.com/

Powerprox Six Month Braces(R)on ABC News

hotsteve

#3 Post by hotsteve » Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:34 pm

Hey Drrick :)

Yes I think it was resorption that I was talking about!! I found the article you mentioned, was really informative, thanks! Reassuring to read.

I've now just been searching for any articles specifically relating IA's to resorption... there doesn't seem to be much out there unfortunately. but the few words I've seen mentioned highlight that there is less or no resorption in comparison to other brace treatments (also reassuring!); however these words do tend to be written by practitioners of the treatment, so I suppose I must assume some bias. It would make sense if this is the case though, due to the shorter treatment time of IAs.

Understanding all this better, I feel confident in asking my ortho about how (un)susceptible I may be to resorption, so thank you so much again :)

alimommy1

#4 Post by alimommy1 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:38 pm

If you're excessively worried about resorption, talk to your ortho about it. Sometimes they will take extra sets of xrays to make sure your roots are okay during treatment, and they can alter your treatment plan if necessary.

drrick

#5 Post by drrick » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:03 am

Your teeth dont know what is putting the force on them they just know there is a force.

There is little difference if the force is generated by wires, inman aligner, invisalign or a popsicle stick. Your teeth dont know the difference.
Developer of:
The Powerprox Six Month Braces(R) Technique
http://sixmonthbraces.com/

Powerprox Six Month Braces(R)on ABC News