Essix retainer

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

holy buttons

Essix retainer

#1 Post by holy buttons »

Hey everyone. I just got my braces off yesterday (after 2 1/2 years!!) and I'm getting my retainer today. It's going to be an Essix kind.

I was wondering, will I have a lisp with this kind of retainer? Can you notice it (I mean from a normal position, not 2 inches from my face)? What does it feel like? Any tips, tricks, etc. is most welcomed! :D

Thanks for any help you can give :)

dizzyintechnicolor

#2 Post by dizzyintechnicolor »

You will have a lisp with it and it is a little noticeable, but the key is to wear it all the time. If you wear it all the time it gets easier to talk in. I've had mine since last Thursday and although it's easier to talk in, I still have a lisp. I don't think it will ever go away completely for me at least.

Now I don't know if all people have this problem but I can't close my teeth completely together because of the plastic. It makes sense but it's really annoying. It's an effort to close my lips together, but hey you might not have the same problem because everyone's mouths are different.

Don't worry though, it gets A LOT more comfortable after a few days. Just remember to tell the orthodontist if you feel it digging into your gums, they'll dull it down for you.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

holy buttons

#3 Post by holy buttons »

Thanks a lot :)!

I got it, and I can't close my mouth completely either. But I guess my lips are big enough that it's not hard to cover. I do have a lisp, but after just a couple hours it has faded :D!

I hope it gets more comfortable, right now it's super annoying, especially the fact I have to take it out to drink anything that isn't water!