How nervous should I be?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

epj0819

How nervous should I be?

#1 Post by epj0819 »

Hey everyone! I'm new here, but I've been reading a lot of stories and information on this site lately. I really wish that I would have found this board before now, as my deband day is set for July 13th (yes, 2 days from now!!!!!!).
I'm really not concerned with the pain or discomfort of the actual removal process (almost anything would be worth it after 27 months of metal). However, I do find myself questioning whether or not I will be completely satisfied with the end result. I know that my teeth will be 100 times better than they were before, but I was kind of hoping for perfection and it doesn't look like things are going to end up that way, due to the shape of my teeth (I never anticipated this).
My real question is: did anyone go in for a debanding and expect something worse than they got? I am hoping that my view is on the negative (not realistic) side of things, especially because my ortho has promised to shape my teeth to smooth things out as necessary. I am also worried that he may not see what I do (imperfections) and not consider fixing certain areas. Should I just trust him??? Should I point out the imperfections? I really can't keep the braces on for any longer, as I'll be out of town in the near future. Sorry for the long post, but I needed to get this off my chest. No one seems to understand my point of view.

TimSeattle

#2 Post by TimSeattle »

I understand your concerns and would express them to your ordondontist. I had a few concerns with my teeth when I was debanded (mostly functional rather than cosmetic issues) and let my doc know. She was able to address some things and what could not be fixed, she explained why it couldn't be changed.

I felt relieved to have expressed my issues to the ortho and to even have some things fixed. She was able to fix a gap using a Hawley retainer on my bottom teeth.

Of course it depends on what you mean when you say perfection. Everyone has a different idea about what perfect teeth look like. For me, it was straigthened teeth and corrected bite. When I think of a perfect-looking set of teeth I think dentures, which is not my idea of perfection.

It looks like today is the day you get your braces off. All the best!

Tim
"Every tooth in a man's mouth is more valuable than a diamond" Don Quixote

Braces On: 5/2004
Braces Off: 3/2007

epj0819

#3 Post by epj0819 »

Thanks so much for your thoughts! They're off now and I did share my feelings with my ortho and the assistant who has been with me for a while. Everything was taken care of beautifully, in part because the assistant is a perfectionist, just like me (why do you think I request her frequently? :D ). I have teeth again!!!!

TimSeattle

#4 Post by TimSeattle »

It cheered me to read that everything went so well with your debanding. Sounds like you have a wonderful orthodontist and ortho assistant who took care of you so well! Now you can go out there and show off your smile.
"Every tooth in a man's mouth is more valuable than a diamond" Don Quixote

Braces On: 5/2004
Braces Off: 3/2007

Steph in Sac

#5 Post by Steph in Sac »

Congratulations! I feel the same way. I am only a month or two away from debracing, if that long, and I have many of the same feelings. I am glad your teeth met your expectations.

epj0819

#6 Post by epj0819 »

Thanks everyone. My ortho (there are 2 in the office and I refuse to let one of them near me, as I don't really feel like he cares or wants to be bothered) is a wonderful guy, completely patient and understanding. His staff are always great. If anyone is in the North Georgia area, Smiles Forever Orthodontics are the best you'll find (Shout out to Dr. Gilbert and Denise!!!).