essix retainer cleaning and wear time

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

rolo

essix retainer cleaning and wear time

#1 Post by rolo »

I've struggled to keep my retainer clean with retainer brite and a sonic cleaner alone. It's clean and disinfected, but some white residue after using retainer brite. I've been removing with a damp cotton bud, which takes a while. I've read conflicting advice re cleaning with a tooth brush. I'm in the UK so sonic care etc are unavailable, unless I want to have them shipped in, which I was really hoping to avoid. I read something about white wine vinegar, but haven't tried it. Any suggestions?

Also I was told to wear 24/7 except for eating and drinking, which for me works out about 20 hours per day...so not really 24/7. No tooth movement, very occassionally, ie after a long resturant meal, say a couple of hours a bit of tightness when I put the retainers back in. Does that sound okay???

TimSeattle

#2 Post by TimSeattle »

I've had the same set of plastic retainers for three years (the front desk person at the ortho office has had the same set for seven years). What I do is to rinse them well in cool water each morning, and if I have time clean them with a drop of liquid soap on a damp cotton swab.

Because I wear them at night only, my only concern is bacteria and odor. Once a week I soak them in generic denture cleanser for 20 minutes. I have white spots on them, but don't care because the only ones who see me in retainers are my wife and my dachshund.

My teeth have stayed in position because I have diligently worn my retainers. This is my 2nd round, because when I had braces as a teenager, it wasn't thought necessary to wear retainers for a lifetime.
"Every tooth in a man's mouth is more valuable than a diamond" Don Quixote

Braces On: 5/2004
Braces Off: 3/2007

rolo

#3 Post by rolo »

Thanks, cotton swabs have worked. I'm 24/7 for 6 mths so hope to keep them clear for that time, and then after that less bothered.

Trying desperately to keep wear time as high as poss, but pregnant and can't eat much at once, but do need to get the calories in somehow, so I don't loose weight. Really hoping 20 or so hrs a day will be enough.

Annie2009

#4 Post by Annie2009 »

Hello

I've been wearing my Essix retainers for 2 weeks now (finally got to grips with popping them out now! :D ). I am UK based, and bought the retainer brite tablets from my orthodontist. The receptionist said most people use the tablets only once a week (?!) but I'm using them every morning and usually every night too. This might be an over-kill but I really don't like the thought of something that is currently in my mouth 20 odd hours a day not being kept clean. I have been using a toothbrush to give them a quick brush when I've spotted some residue, but don't use paste, I just dip the brush in the retainer brite fluid NB I'm not using the same brush to clean my teeth!!

I was told to wear my retainers 24/7 for the first week only then overnight. However, after experimenting, I find that the retainers are tight (if only for a few minutes) after only 3-4 hours of not being worn, so I'm keeping them in 24/7 for now and at least the next couple of months!

TimSeattle

#5 Post by TimSeattle »

Once a week should be sufficient. That's what I've been doing ever since I got retainers by recommendation of my ortho.

TimSeattle

#6 Post by TimSeattle »

Once a week should be sufficient. That's what I've been doing ever since I got retainers by recommendation of my ortho.