How much did your retainers cost?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

LaLa1234

How much did your retainers cost?

#1 Post by LaLa1234 »

Hello,

I got my braces off 2 days ago on Wed. In the last installment of my payment plan I was charged $200 for each retainer, for a total of $400. My ortho put in a permanent bonded retainer for top and bottom, then I got impressions made for a TOP ONLY Hawley retainer. Should I be credited $200? Or did the bonded one on the bottom cost me $200? If so, then shouldn't I have been charged $600?? ($200 for top bonded, $200 for bottom bonded, $200 for top Hawley)

I pick up my Hawley next Wed and will ask about the cost of everything then, but wondering what you guys think.

Also, I would like to get a top essix made to wear or switch off with the Hawley...since I didn't get a bottom hawley, should the ortho make me the top essix for free?

How much did your retainers cost and how many do you have and what kind?

fluffybottom

#2 Post by fluffybottom »

I have a top Hawley, Essix for both arches and a bonded lower retainer. The bonded retainer cost me $175 extra. The Essix retainers were billed as $600 in my treatment plan. She threw in the Hawley for free.
I had my braces on for 2 years, 1 month, 2 weeks and 2 days.

sadpanda

retainer cost

#3 Post by sadpanda »

Well, I just got braces, but they charged me $500 up front for retainers, but I get to pick what kind I want.

macgirl4ever

#4 Post by macgirl4ever »

Per insurance, my retainers are $450. I requested a second one which they discounted so my total retainer fee is $700. I pre-paid for them when I paid the balance for my treatment.
Braced: 20 months March 2009-November 2010

Lela

#5 Post by Lela »

I'm not sure how much my first set of Essix retainers cost since I didn't get a cost breakdown. But, I get two free replacements, and if I need others after that they are $75 each arch. Pretty low compaired to what most of you are having to pay. :shock:
Fully braced 9-02-08
Braces off 9-21-09

alimommy1

#6 Post by alimommy1 »

Originally, my retainers were included in my total treatment costs, so I have no idea how much they cost individually. I had a bonded lower immediately when my braces were removed, and I received an upper hawley. The wraparound style didn't seem to retain my teeth well, so a month later my ortho recalled me and had another hawley made. Then a few weeks later he sent it back to the lab and had springs added to it. I didn't have to pay any extra even though I ended up with 3 of them plus the lower bonded. I never received a lower removable, which to me seemed strange but I was assured I didn't need it.

Fast forward 13 years and I paid $375 to replace my upper hawley - which is actually having the active parts added to it as we speak, and I'm going back next week to see what I'm going to do about my lower.

I have never had an essix, and I asked for the hawley instead. After seeing the problems people have with getting them off, I'm glad I've never had one. I know you're not supposed to eat with them in and if I were hungry enough, I'd give up and eat with it in if I couldn't get it off!

fff

Re: How much did your retainers cost?

#7 Post by fff »

LaLa1234 wrote:Hello,

I got my braces off 2 days ago on Wed. In the last installment of my payment plan I was charged $200 for each retainer, for a total of $400. My ortho put in a permanent bonded retainer for top and bottom, then I got impressions made for a TOP ONLY Hawley retainer. Should I be credited $200? Or did the bonded one on the bottom cost me $200? If so, then shouldn't I have been charged $600?? ($200 for top bonded, $200 for bottom bonded, $200 for top Hawley)

I pick up my Hawley next Wed and will ask about the cost of everything then, but wondering what you guys think.

Also, I would like to get a top essix made to wear or switch off with the Hawley...since I didn't get a bottom hawley, should the ortho make me the top essix for free?

How much did your retainers cost and how many do you have and what kind?
are bonded retainers too uncomfortable?

alimommy1

#8 Post by alimommy1 »

They aren't uncomfortable at all, just can't floss easily.

Annie2009

#9 Post by Annie2009 »

My Essix retainers were included in the total fee for braces but I requested an extra set (I'm terrible for losing stuff!) and was charged an additional £50 (UK) total for top and bottom arches. It would have cost me £80 if I hadn't had them made at the same time as my first set.

LaLa1234

#10 Post by LaLa1234 »

Thanks everyone for your responses.

fff, I have top and bottom bonded retainers and no, not uncomfortable at all. I run my tongue on them all the time, but to me, it feels normal and like it is naturally part of my mouth now that my tongue is used to them.

I'm SO glad I have both arches bonded cause when I wear my hawley at night, I could never trust it completely if it was by itself with no bonded retainer. And if my hawley ever broke, I'd have the permanent/bonded retainers already in place to keep my teeth in from moving while I got a new hawley. And if my bonded retainer ever broke I'd have my hawley to use immediately until I got a new bonded retainer. LOVE the extra security it all brings to me. These teeth aren't goin anywhere.

BracedSurgeryStudent

#11 Post by BracedSurgeryStudent »

$650 at my place will get you both upper and lower essix and hawleys.
Jenn Medeiros

Zcooke

#12 Post by Zcooke »

I can't believe the price some of you have to pay!
Like Annie2009 my retainers are included in the total price and extra ones will cost €100.

mariawong86

#13 Post by mariawong86 »

[quote="LaLa1234"]Hello,

I got my braces off 2 days ago on Wed. In the last installment of my payment plan I was charged $200 for each retainer, for a total of $400. My ortho put in a permanent bonded retainer for top and bottom, then I got impressions made for a TOP ONLY Hawley retainer.

i got them for free ;/

mariawong86

#14 Post by mariawong86 »

I get mine free at the end of the treatment