Getting braces again- do you think its worth it???

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

venusasaboy

Getting braces again- do you think its worth it???

#1 Post by venusasaboy »

Braces have been off for over 3 years, and slowly my bite has been shifting and causing me to grind my teeth almost 24 hours a day, which is evident by how jagged my molars have become and the strain i've been having on my jaw. My ortho said that the cause of grinding was from my teeth only meeting correctly on the right side, and to fix this and prevent further chipping and wear on my teeth, I would need braces and elastics again for about a year or so.
I don't mind going back in braces, but do you think that the benefits are worth it?? I am scared that if I don't fix it now, the grinding and bite could continue to get worse and I will end up having to get veneers to fix the chips and jagged parts of my teeth!
The thing that has me best convinced to go through braces again is the fact that the small changes and shifting in my front teeth have really bothered me for the past year, and my ortho said she would be able to fix this as well- something I don't want to regret NOT doing. Since i've gone this far why should I accept anything less then a perfect smile when it can be attained by the braces?

browneyedgrl

#2 Post by browneyedgrl »

Hi V,

I agree with Ken, if you're having bite issues, you're better off taking care of it now. Make sure that you get a orthodontic nightgard after you go through treatment. I was having issues with chomping and clenching and cracked my upper retainer. About 6 months ago my ortho made me a nightgard which has helped alot.

Good luck,

B
Started the journey for the second time on January 10th 2008~Ceramic uppers and metal lowers. Removed on June 2nd 2009.

[/url]