July Debrace Club

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Audra

#16 Post by Audra »

That's awesome, and yes I am feeling the same way right now too.

I just got home from having them removed. The bracket removal was surprisingly quick. A couple molars are still sensitive from the jaw surgery, but the small amount of pain was short-lived. Some spots were sensitive while the glue was being polished off as well.

My teeth are so smooth! Wow. And they look so big to me. But I have to say, I love my smile.

I pick up my retainer in about 2.5 hours. It will be an "active" retainer as I have a small space to close and the ortho is doing IPR between two of my teeth so there will be a small space there too. I'll be getting essix retainers and then bonded retainers in a couple months.

I ate a burger for lunch and didn't have to worry about the bread mashing into my brackes. It was great. I brought jelly beans to the ortho's office and ate them on my way out. Loving it!

jackjack

#17 Post by jackjack »

Have to say goodbye to the July club...by debrace date is August 19th now:(........Congrats to everyone!

sisi

#18 Post by sisi »

Hi - I would like to join the July club - will be debraced on the 21st but will have some finishing touches completed by retainer. WOO HOO> :lol:

Audra

#19 Post by Audra »

Oh, that's too bad jackjack - why did they move you?

Welcome sisi!

My upper retainer did not fit. They apparently over-corrected for the space they are trying to close. So I had to have impressions again and am picking it up this afternoon.

Bottom retainer is really comfortable.

jackjack

#20 Post by jackjack »

Couldn't get debanding and retainer appointment until then...guess they're really busy! I already had impressions...but had molar bands removed and just have on front brackets, lace tie, ligs and wire. Oh well!

JenMarie286

#21 Post by JenMarie286 »

I get mine off on the 29th. I've been pretty absent from this board for probably the last year, but I'm so excited about my debracing!

I have 3 separate appointments. This Tuesday they're doing impressions for permanent retainers (top and bottom) and I think debanding. The the next Thursday, brackets come off and they file everything. The Tuesday after that I take my after pics and pick up removable retainers.

dizzyintechnicolor

#22 Post by dizzyintechnicolor »

I got mine off on July 13th at 10:30am. I was so scared but it went surprisingly well for me. The only thing was, when she first starting popping them off it scared me and I was gasping really loud. I'm pretty sure the other 2 patients thought I was crazy. LOL I was also really worried about puking when they did the impressions, but the tech was so nice and offered me this nifty spray they had to numb my throat.

karencoutts

karencoutts

#23 Post by karencoutts »

Count me in as one of the liberated! Off on Thursday, July 15. Last night at bedtime I took out my retainer briefly, so I thought, then left them out overnight accidentally. Just plum forgot about them. In the morning, such a panic. Yikes. The Hawley only had a little trouble sliding back on.

Congratulations to my fellow free people. You have suffered. You have known pain. And now... know freedom. Well, at least a limited kind of freedom, the kind that involves brushing our retainers (&*^##$) and taking them out and in after meals (@#&*($&).

sisi

#24 Post by sisi »

Got mine off this morning. It feels surreal - like a dream sort of? I am torn between a constant desire to look in the mirror and a terrible fear of looking in the mirror (in case I see flaws).

I knew my teeth were not going to be perfect but they good enough for me now. I will try to post before and after photos later.

NYG2007

#25 Post by NYG2007 »

I got mine off on 7/19/2010. I received my retainers today. Hawley top and bottom. Congrats to all the other Julys!
Braces worn for 2 Years 4 Days

Blog: http://nygbracesjourney.blogspot.com/