Top Braces Coming off!

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

braceface94

Top Braces Coming off!

#1 Post by braceface94 »

So I've had my braces for over two years and the top braces are finally coming off! What advice, opinions do any of you have? I know the process of how they take them off, but I've heard different opinions like how it hurts for some and how it doesn't hurt for some. I've had two brackets taken off in the past and it's hurt some, and that was when the wire was off. Other than taking the brackets off and scraping the glue off, what else do they do?

I will probably have the lower brackets on a little longer to get the crooked tooth turned, since the powerchain at the moment doesn't seem to be working all the greatest.

I will be posting pictures after I get them off, and checking back here to see your responses. :D

BracketRacket

#2 Post by BracketRacket »

No advice -- but good luck and congrats!

PJ

#3 Post by PJ »

I just got my uppers off a few hours ago. I will tell you that it was kind of painful, but it was pretty quick, and you can deal with it. It's so funny--seeing my teeth naked again was so odd, in that, they look huge to me now! My fiance' told me he thought the exact same thing right after his were removed.

Good luck with yours!!

braceface94

#4 Post by braceface94 »

thank you, BracketRacket :D

and PJ, I've heard that as well. How weird it looks after you get them off, that is one of the things I am looking forward to most. That and how they feel! It will feel a million times better than pokey wires and brackets, even though I was used to that years ago. It will be nice to feel nice, smooth, straight teeth. On a scale of 1 to 10, about how painful? I'm ok with pain at times, but I have pretty sensitive teeth, so this might be a different story.

PJ

#5 Post by PJ »

I'd say the pain taking off the brackets was negligible, but the bands--I'd say 7!! I think that was because I have had a lot of sensitivity in my upper teeth and gums since my surgery. I have crowns on 3 of my bottom molars, so I am really dreading having the bottoms done, but I am sure the OD has taken bands off of crowns before, so I am probably worrying for nothing. Anyway, even though it was painful, it was just for a minute or so, so try not to worry--once it's over you'll be basking in the glow of your naked teeth! :D

braceface94

#6 Post by braceface94 »

PJ wrote:I'd say the pain taking off the brackets was negligible, but the bands--I'd say 7!! I think that was because I have had a lot of sensitivity in my upper teeth and gums since my surgery. I have crowns on 3 of my bottom molars, so I am really dreading having the bottoms done, but I am sure the OD has taken bands off of crowns before, so I am probably worrying for nothing. Anyway, even though it was painful, it was just for a minute or so, so try not to worry--once it's over you'll be basking in the glow of your naked teeth! :D
Ah ok. I don't have bands though for some reason, I remember some friends getting braces and they would always tell me the spacers are the worst, and I had no idea what they meant. Then another friend went to the same orthodontist as me and she didn't have bands either. So I'm guessing my ortho doesn't use bands. I am sorry it was sensitive for you though, I hope it's not too bad just when getting the brackets taken off haha.

Question though so I don't have to make a whole different thread, my ortho said a couple months ago when the braces come off he would put permanent retainers behind my teeth. My friend that went to the same ortho said that she got a permanent one and was also getting a plastic hawley retainer. I was never told anything about a hawley retainer, and before I got my braces I had a gap in my front teeth.. I've heard when you have a hawley or any kind of retainer, it can help close gaps..However I have not heard that for the permanent retainer.. and the gap comes and goes even with the braces still on. So..actually two questions, would the permenant retainer close the (already started to come back actually) gap, and should I ask my orthodontist about the hawley?

sdawdy

#7 Post by sdawdy »

I just got some of my braces off...the assistant used a piece of rolled up gauze and put it behind my tooth the popped off the brackets...I honestly didn't know they were off. The scraping of glue kind of hurt a little cause she had to use some force. Be glad you do not have molar bands...they were horrible to get off.

braceface94

#8 Post by braceface94 »

sdawdy wrote:I just got some of my braces off...the assistant used a piece of rolled up gauze and put it behind my tooth the popped off the brackets...I honestly didn't know they were off. The scraping of glue kind of hurt a little cause she had to use some force. Be glad you do not have molar bands...they were horrible to get off.
I have heard that, about the gauze.. when my ortho took a couple off a couple months ago he just.. popped them off more or less. I'm expecting the glue part to hurt.. I don't remember what he did when he took those brackets off the first time, but I'm hoping now that they're officially coming off, it won't hurt very much. But I am expecting it just in case. And yes, I've heard that about molar bands. Several people have said it's hurt a little more to get off and a little harder to get off..

So here are some pictures:
This is my top arch, I am extremely satisfied with how it looks, I never thought my crooked, messed up teeth could look this..amazing. I don't even remember what my old teeth looked like and I would probably scream if I saw them. Mind my fillings, I've had those for as long as I can remember haha.

So far, I am really happy I went through with this. At first before I got them I was very uneasy about it.. I WANTED them, because I wanted my teeth to be better, I was so tired of smiling for pictures and then looking at them and being like, "ugh, that's me?" I still feel a bit self conscience when I take pictures of myself with braces, because I still don't like the look of them on me. But after they come off, I will probably never leave the camera alone haha.

Yes the bottom braces are probably going to be staying on for a few more months, and after I get my top braces off I will take pictures. :)

PJ

#9 Post by PJ »

Braceface94--
Sorry I can't answer your questions about the retainer. I don't have much of a gap at all, and I got the Invisilign for the uppers. I am concerned that I don't have overjet, and while he said that would be corrected with the retainer, I don't see how this flimsy piece of plastic is going to move my front teeth out--it seems to fit exactly, and isn't the least bit painful--like when braces are moving your teeth. So, I guess maybe he'll be pushing the lowers in with that retainer--which I don't think will be Invisilign. Good luck with yours. I hope you get your questions answered.

TXMommy

#10 Post by TXMommy »

braceface94
I didn't experience any pain when they removed my brackets. The metals were a breeze, and even the ceramics just involved maybe a touch more pressure, but no pain at all. I also took two Aleve 30 minutes before my appointment as to maybe head off any pain.

I also can't answer your question about the retainer, as I ended up with a bottom bonded retainer (no gaps, knocking on wood) and a removable Essix for the top.

PJ
I'm in total agreement about the Essix retainer. My bite is completely different wearing the retainer as opposed to not wearing it, so I wouldn't see how it would help with the overjet. It's really not SO dramatic of a change, I suppose, but it's enough for me to notice and ask questions. :wink: I do like it as long as it keeps all of my teeth in place (especially my formerly-sky-high canines) as it is very comfortable to wear and I've had minimal speech problems. It's almost like it's too good to be true for a retainer...
Braced Jan. 31, 2008
Sentenced to 24 months
Debraced Jan. 14, 2010!
Now wearing Essix retainer on top 24/7 with bonded lower

braceface94

#11 Post by braceface94 »

It's ok guys :) I got my question about the retainer answered.

I went in about a week or so ago and he put a chain on the top to finally close the gap, and when I go in next time he will put the permanent retainer on and remove the braces. He told me I'm not a candidate for a hawley retainer because my teeth do move incredibly fast, and we wouldn't want to go back to the braces now would we? haha. So he said it'd be best to just have permanent retainers on both top and bottom arches.

braceface94

#12 Post by braceface94 »

Only 5 days left of my journey and I am in a bit of a pickle. Just recently I've noticed how off my bite is. I'm guessing this wont effect the top arch, but if you have had your top braces removed but have kept the lowers on longer, what happens if you need rubber bands again? I am very picky with my teeth when I know they can only get so straight and perfect. I am happy with the tops, but I'm still concerned about what needs to be done with the bottoms..