Debanded! (But I have a question for you guys)

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

virgoan

Debanded! (But I have a question for you guys)

#1 Post by virgoan »

I went in for an adjustment yesterday morning (or so I thought), but was surprised with the option to take off the braces! Of course, I was totally thrilled.

While I'm very happy with the outcome, I am nervous about one of my lateral incisors. It is slightly tilted out, to the point that I can feel a bit of a ridge at the top of the tooth when I run my tongue across the back of my teeth .. so I'm nervous that this tooth will try to migrate or won't be stable over the long term.

I plan to ask the ortho when I pick up my Hawley retainers, but I figured I'd ask you guys who have gone through this. Did you have minor imperfections like this that a retainer was able to correct?

My ortho already said during the appointment that the wire attached to my retainer would assist with pushing my rogue canine a little further in (it is right next to the incisor that feels a bit tilted). Is it likely that this same wire will help with the incisor?

I just need some reassurance that I didn't take them off too soon ..

Thanks guys!

haywire

#2 Post by haywire »

how long was the treatment?
what problem did u have?
pics?
MY STORY
Braces on 23/07/2009
Braces off 10/12/2010

part time essix hater.

virgoan

#3 Post by virgoan »

I was in braces for approximately 12.5 months with ceramic uppers, all self-ligating. The reason I went in for braces was that my right canine had never fully come down because there wasn't enough room in the arch for it. This also caused the neighboring lateral incisor to be pushed back and my midline was off. My bottom teeth were relatively straight, in my estimation.

Here are the results:

It looks good at first glance, but the same lateral incisor is still a bit lower and is actually tilted forward a bit compared to the other side. It feels incredibly awkward in my mouth, along with the canine that started this whole mess - it still lies a little outside the "normal" arch and feels very prominent in my mouth. I'm most worried about the incisor because it is too low and tilted, which feels awful and can't be stable.

I assume this cannot be corrected with a Hawley retainer, especially in terms of moving it up.

I'm also cognizant of the fact that I may be nit-picking this to death, but it feels so uncomfortable that I haven't stopped thinking about it since the braces came off.

And if the last resort is that I need braces again to correct it, I really can't afford to spend anymore than I already have. I'm really anxious and disappointed. :cry:

Faerydust

#4 Post by Faerydust »

I think it would be easy to straighten the lateral with the retainer, but I'm not so sure about adjusting the tooth height.

My Hawley has a wire added into the acrylic to push on my right lateral because it wasn't as far forward as the left. As far as height, I have the opposite problem, my lateral is a bit high. It was correct when my braces were on, but it moved back up. I plan to ask my ortho if there's a way to fix that when I go for my checkup.

I totally understand where you're coming from with the nitpickiness. After the braces come off you'd think that all corrections should be done, but I'm in the same boat you are. My lower centrals moved since my braces came off and the retainer hasn't corrected them. I'd be happy to put braces back on if that would fix it.
My Braces Story:http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=25137
4/23/08 - Upper 1st premolars & lower impacted wisdoms extracted
-Getting lowers rebraced Aug. 30th-
Certified Dental Assistant

virgoan

#5 Post by virgoan »

I'm sorry to hear that your laterals are moving back up. If my canine did that, I'd probably cry.

Did you find that it was kind of awkward to speak at first when your braces came off? Or am I just having trouble because one side is still kind of wonky?

I'll be seeing my ortho next week, so hopefully we can figure something out.

Faerydust

#6 Post by Faerydust »

I don't remember having any trouble speaking. I hope your ortho can correct your bite with the retainer.
My Braces Story:http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=25137
4/23/08 - Upper 1st premolars & lower impacted wisdoms extracted
-Getting lowers rebraced Aug. 30th-
Certified Dental Assistant

virgoan

Braces again?

#7 Post by virgoan »

Less than four months after the braces came off, my left canine has started to push itself back up into the gum and my lateral incisor feels like it is being pushed back and down.

I'm assuming that I was not ready for my braces to come off after all.

The bottom arch feels great and stable, but the top is all wonky and my teeth constantly ache whether or not my retainers are in. To be clear, I wear/wore my retainers faithfully - it actually feels more comfortable to wear them, like I have support for my top arch that isn't there naturally.

I'm not really sure what to expect moving forward. I don't know if an expander or extractions are necessary to make room or if the ceramic braces on top just weren't as effective as metal - but I'm suspecting that a rebracing lies in my future.

My ortho has said she will do what is needed to make my smile right but I have no more money to sink into ortho treatment and the thought of being rebraced is really hard to bear.

Wish me luck.

alimommy1

#8 Post by alimommy1 »

Did you have another talk with your ortho yet, or come to a decision about what to do? Canines that were impacted and then pulled down or were high and then pulled down are a pain, my ortho is moving mine slightly again with a retainer but my thought is it's a constant problem, if I stop wearing it again they'll try to migrate. My bite feels better with the retainer on too, I had noticed that.

virgoan

#9 Post by virgoan »

I was rebraced for a little over a month in order to get the canine back into position, and my ortho also utilized IPR in order to make some room (she did this twice on the surrounding teeth).

I've noticed a major difference this go-round as far as comfort when the braces came off and feeling like the tooth was in a proper position.

My ortho also decided to put on a bonded retainer on my top teeth (front six). I kind of hated it at first but I've gotten used to it - and I certainly don't want my teeth to start shifting again.

Unfortunately, my Hawleys were not sufficient to stop my canine from moving right back to where it started. I hope you have better luck!