Two front teeth already moved

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

fenderguitar13

Two front teeth already moved

#1 Post by fenderguitar13 »

Yesterday I had my braces removed after 5 long years! I had molds taken for a Hawley Retainer and will go back in 6 days to pick it up. For the time being I have no retainer. In the past 24 hours my teeth have already moved (there is a small, but noticeable space between my two front teeth) I know that movement happens during this time, but is this too much movement in too short a period of time? Thanks.

changes09

#2 Post by changes09 »

Call you dentist or ortho and see if they will make you a "fake" essix retainer. The clinc i work at does them. It's like anight gaurd that is fitted to your teeth.

Faerydust

#3 Post by Faerydust »

My teeth moved within a day of having my braces off and I didn't get my retainers until 28 days after debanding. I was worried about the shifting too...

The retainers can correct the shifting and if there is excessive movement, active wires can be placed into the retainer to move teeth as needed. Now that I have my retainers almost everything has moved back to where it should be. My lower centrals are slightly out of alignment and my ortho said he can add a wire at my next visit if the retainer doesn't correct it. On the top I have a wire that successfully pushed my right lateral forward into alignment. It hurt like braces, but it worked!
My Braces Story:http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=25137
4/23/08 - Upper 1st premolars & lower impacted wisdoms extracted
-Getting lowers rebraced Aug. 30th-
Certified Dental Assistant

JayC

#4 Post by JayC »

28 days!!!!?? that is ridiculous.. you should get your retainers the same day, if not, the next day! id question the credibility of an ortho who made you wait more than a couple days to get your retainers... most orthos can do essix's in house.

HokieTay

#5 Post by HokieTay »

I don't get this either. Got my braces off in the morning, retainers for top and bottom in the afternoon. A week later I had a permanent one put on the bottom.

You should get your retainers on the same day, next day at the latest.
Braces first time 12/96-11/99
Braces second time 12/08-10/09
BSSO & Le Fort I 6/15!
Unwired, in elastics, and on soft foods 6/26!!!
Orthodontic elastics 7/21-8/11
Braces off... OCTOBER 2ND, 2009!

changes09

#6 Post by changes09 »

28 days is way to long. My ortho does essix in house. even if you don't need as essix he makes you one while the your hawley is being made out in the lab. You need something to keep your teeth stable.