This gap is driving me nuts- take a look at my picture!

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Sara

This gap is driving me nuts- take a look at my picture!

#1 Post by Sara »

After 18 months of lingual braces they are off- however I have a gap in the front teeth-
Any professional out there able to give me their opinion.

My ortho did not do anything about the gap when I had the braces on as she said I would need to have it filed.. which would leave me with a bigger gap... but since having the braces removed the gap is more visable.

What can be done about the gap...

Can something be stuck behind my teeth to cover the gap?

Derrick- you said that this can be corrected by my retainer.... if so why did my ortho not correct this when I was braced...

Has anyone else been left with small gaps...?
Age 28- Upper lingual- Lower Ceramic Braces
Fitted 27th May 08
Phots on www
- updated a year on with pictures! (look bottom of pg 1)

Sara

#2 Post by Sara »

a better picture of the gap.....
Fitted 27th May 08
Phots on www

starzz

#3 Post by starzz »

They could file between your teeth (IPR). Then the teeth are brought together and the gap is smaller or gone. I thought they normally do that while braces are still on, but maybe it can be done now.
Braced for 2 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 5 days (the 2nd time ‘round)
Hawley on top, Essix on bottom

kittenmaisey

#4 Post by kittenmaisey »

Isn't that known as a 'black triangle'?

Apart from that, you're teeth look great..also lovely and white. Maybe some minor cosmetic dentistry may do the trick.

Well done.

drrick

#5 Post by drrick »

That is a black triagle d/t the shape of your teeth (not a true diastema or gap)
SOme rperox(IPR) with follow up closure could have worked great. At this point you may be able to have some reprox done and the teeth moved back with the retainer (if ther3e is some overjet to work with) otherwise you will need some bonding.
Developer of:
The Powerprox Six Month Braces(R) Technique
http://sixmonthbraces.com/

Powerprox Six Month Braces(R)on ABC News

Sara

#6 Post by Sara »

Thanks for all you advice- just a quick question- what exactly is bonding and what does it involve....?
Fitted 27th May 08
Phots on www

felicia

#7 Post by felicia »

I'm no expert, but I'll try to explain with my own words. Bonding means that the dentist will add very thin layer over layer of some kind of cement on your tooth until it will make your tooth look wider or longer(whatever your needs are) or until he closes a gap.
Hope I helped you a little bit.

changes09

#8 Post by changes09 »

Bond is a very thin material. Bond does not last forever. First they etch your teeth. Etch will make the bond adhere (?) to your tooth better. The bond will be a tooth colored material. They may have to shave down the tooth a bit then add bond. Shaving down the tooth does not hurt.

Sara

#9 Post by Sara »

Thanks so much for all your advice- I am going to see my ortho in a few weeks time so tell her I am not happy.

I have spent £5000 on my teeth... and had 18 months of treatment ... they look great but I did not expect a black triangle.....

Not sure if I like the idea of bonding if it damages your natural teeth.... and if I am left with a bigger gap.... and constant trips to the ortho to have it re -don--- how much will this cost me?

oh what to do.......xxxxx
Fitted 27th May 08
Phots on www

drrick

#10 Post by drrick »

I am a bit confused. Why didnt you let your doc do the ipr and close the spce to reduce the black triangle. It seems he/she wanted to do that but you objeccted. that would have somved this situation within a week or 2. Again tghe reason for the black triangle relates to the SHAPE not the pposition of the teeth so in order to resolve it the shape must be altered either by IPR or bonding. You have to choose which one you want. the bonding (which is simply white filling material) can be bonded to your teeth with out any damage or preparation so you can heve it removed if you want down the road.
Developer of:
The Powerprox Six Month Braces(R) Technique
http://sixmonthbraces.com/

Powerprox Six Month Braces(R)on ABC News

Sara

#11 Post by Sara »

My ortho did not seem bothered about the black triangle.. when I pointed it out ... he mentioned about filing the teeth .... but seemed to think they were not that bad...and was not eager to do this...

its only since i had the lingual removed that it seems more obvious.... and I am kicking myself now for not pushing him to sort the problem out when I mentioned it...AARRRGGG
Fitted 27th May 08
Phots on www

lindesd

I FEEL YOUR PAIN!

#12 Post by lindesd »

Wow, I am struggling with the same issue. It is SO disheartening. After wanting to correct my smile for years, to be stuck with this pisses me off! I am still embarrased about my smile. Go figure huh! PLEASE let me know what happens. I am seeing my ortho today and am going to beg him to do something.

vtmike1283

#13 Post by vtmike1283 »

any update on this black triangle? I have the same issue and want to know what kind of results people were getting.

Jethro

#14 Post by Jethro »

I had the identical situation. My ortho removed the archwire and did IPR between the central incisors which created a small gap (the width of the prior "black triangle"). The gap closed in less than 2 weeks with a powerchain. The IPR did not hurt at all, just a little vibration, and took only a few seconds. I am very pleased with the result.

I've been braced for 13 months and have, hopefully, about 5 to six months to go! Hope this helps.

Happy New Year!

gracey82

#15 Post by gracey82 »

Simple procedure of IPR will do. I have bigger black triangle than yours. And not only one of them. I'm still in the middle of treatment though. My orthon did the IPR, took about 5-10mins. No pain nothing at all. It shape your teeth in a way so they can close the gap. And yeah, my gap is being closed now by powerchain.

Ask your orthon by IPR.