January Debracing Club

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

blindboarder2008
Location: in a house that has 4 walls, with lots of rooms!!! in Canada!

#46 Post by blindboarder2008 »

totally in the club!!! yehaw!! got my braces off today. I have 2 fixed retainers and getting an essix retainer for the top tomorrow. the two fixed retainers are on the upper and the lower teeth. my teeth feel sooo weird and slimy and eww but they look so good!!!!! is it just me or did no one sleep the night before? i couldn't at all. i just kept tossing and turning with excitment lol. ah well i'll sleep now lol

questions:
are you gums really sensitive right now? everytime i go to clean them they gush out blood. how long does it last ?

i cant think of the other question i had but i'll post it here once i remember (oh i need sleep)

alright off to bed i go:)
Braced: March 19th 2008
Impacted wisdom teeth extraction surgery: June 20th 2008 1pm (13 hours of fasting)
Jaw surgery (upper and lower)Lefort 1 with Madable Advancement: June 2nd 2009 @8am!!!! 1 surgery down 2 surgeries to go!!
debrace day: jan 18th 2010!!!! *has 2 fixed retainers and an essix retainer for night time now!

PJ

#47 Post by PJ »

Blindboarder-- Congratulations!! :D I wasn't as excited as you, more worried about pain. :) I had the uppers off 2 weeks ago and tomorrow my lowers come off. I am looking forward to seeing a braceless bite, but there is still work to be done, so I guess the excitement won't be until I am sure he gets my bite right.

I don't know about the blood gushing out! Yikes! My gums were no more sensitive after debracing than before, but they have been since surgery. :{

Anyway--so happy for you!!

jordan82

#48 Post by jordan82 »

i get my braces off in 45 minutes. 4 years and a BSSO later I will actually miss them. I do look forward to being able to floss easier and not have to use the little brush to clean in between the braces. I get a retainer next week that I wear fulltime for 3 months. After 3 months I wear it at nights only.

ghotieyes

#49 Post by ghotieyes »

Getting debanded on the 28th. WOOHOO! Was so excited at just the though of being done that I never asked about what type of retainer I'm getting... I had an Essix when I got them taken off for 2 weeks for my wedding, but the receptionist who just finished her treatment got a Hawley. I just hope that if I end up with a Hawley that speaking will be easier than when I had an expander...

changes09

#50 Post by changes09 »

How exciting! Everyone is getting NAKED! :) Mine will be off on the 26th! Thats in 5 days! You guys need to post some pics!

sdawdy

#51 Post by sdawdy »

I just got my new retainer. See above about why. it fits so much better and is even easier to talk with it in then the other one!!!

Congrats to everyone who has become naked!!!!

StarryEyedGyal

#52 Post by StarryEyedGyal »

Yay congrats to everybody!

Sdawdy glad you got a new retainer! I have a bonded retainer for my lowers and a Hawley for the top. Mine is a clear pink with Hello Kitty. <3 it!

My only problem is the issue with my front teeth. I pointed it out to my ortho before debanding. He said he'd fix it with my retainer.

So I have an active wire with two springs behind my incisors. My former snaggletooth moved slightly in 6 days! But now my front teeth are more uneven than before in attempts to fix that. Boo. Is this something I should bring up right away? I don't see my ortho again for another 2 months.

StarryEyedGyal

#53 Post by StarryEyedGyal »

StarryEyedGyal wrote:Yay congrats to everybody!

Sdawdy glad you got a new retainer! I have a bonded retainer for my lowers and a Hawley for the top. Mine is a clear pink with Hello Kitty. <3 it!

My only problem is the issue with my front teeth. I pointed it out to my ortho before debanding. He said he'd fix it with my retainer.

So I have an active wire with two springs behind my incisors. My former snaggletooth moved slightly in 6 days! But now my front teeth are more uneven than before in attempts to fix that. Boo. Is this something I should bring up right away? I don't see my ortho again for another 2 months.
OOps I meant springs behind my canines, not incisors. I guess this would be better off as a new topic too. ;)

terceslil

#54 Post by terceslil »

I have an appointment to get my braces off tomorrow. I already have a bonded retainer on the bottom. I am getting to retainers for the top. One will be clear (for daytime) and the other is colored (for night time). I will have to wear retainers 24/7. I have had braces for 5 1/2 years so I'm kind of scared my teeth will try to move if I don't wear my retainers. Plus, I have heard so many stories of people who have had braces 2 and 3 times because they didn't wear their retainers.