Does the Hawley retainer touch the palate?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

misky22

Does the Hawley retainer touch the palate?

#1 Post by misky22 »

Hi, I've had my Hawley retainer for a while and it doesn't touch my palate. There is actually a gap of almost a centimeter. I thought this was normal and never asked any questions about it. But I was looking on the Internet and it says that it sits on the palate.. :? I have a really hard time talking when I have it on!

Does anyone have one and could tell me if mine is alright or if it sould really sit and touch the palate?

Thanks for your help. :D

gigiso

#2 Post by gigiso »

Mine touches the palate, although there is a little gap towards the center of the roof of my mouth.
[/url]

Chris

#3 Post by Chris »

[quote=]Mine touches the palate, although there is a little gap towards the center of the roof of my mouth.[/quote]

same here. :D

I just got another set of essix retainers and this time they cut out the entire palate! Feels more comfortable for nighttime wear although I wouldn't want it for daytime wear as I notice it collects saliva. :roll:
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

nadineat

#4 Post by nadineat »

My Hawley retainer doesn't touch the roof of my mouth either, there is also about a centimetre gap...
This is the second Hawley that i've had, the first one reached the roof of my mouth fine and I learnt to talk with it normally in a few days...
I've had this one nearly a week now, and still can't talk at all.
Have you managed to learn to talk normally with yours yet? is it possible?