Do Essix retainers stain?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

fdd1212

Do Essix retainers stain?

#1 Post by fdd1212 »

Does anyone drink coffee with the Essix retainer? I will be having these on the uppers, and a fixed wire on the bottoms. Just wondering how prone they are to staining. Thanks!

jenny101101

#2 Post by jenny101101 »

I am in upper and lower essix retainers and I was told to take them out whenever eating or drinking anything(except water). As far as I know, they will stain so I wouldn't suggest leaving them in, especially while drinking coffee. I know my teeth are stained from drinking coffee and I now drink it with a straw(I know, silly looking! :oops: ).

If unsure, I would check with your ortho. They are quite expensive to replace if you do stain them and are bothered by that :? .
Keep smilin'! :)
Jenny

Braced for 18 months: Damon 3mx all around with Damon 3's on "social six". Now is Essix retainers for 10 hours/night.

fdd1212

#3 Post by fdd1212 »

Thank you!

lalley1

4 days now in Essix retainers

#4 Post by lalley1 »

jenny101101 wrote:I am in upper and lower essix retainers and I was told to take them out whenever eating or drinking anything(except water). As far as I know, they will stain so I wouldn't suggest leaving them in, especially while drinking coffee. I know my teeth are stained from drinking coffee and I now drink it with a straw(I know, silly looking! :oops: ).

If unsure, I would check with your ortho. They are quite expensive to replace if you do stain them and are bothered by that :? .

My ortho told me to be sure and only drink water with my Essix retainers. Once I forgot and had coffee and quickly took them out, brushed them.
I'm going to wear them 24/7 with the exception of eating and maybe an hr at night while watching TV if I want to enjoy some red wine. I can tell that one space that was closed is now slightly open (ugh) - so I know the importance of wearing the retainers as much as possible.

After eating anything, I brush my teeth AND my retainers to keep them fresh.

Talking is getting easier too :D

Lola

#5 Post by Lola »

How expensive are they by the way?? I know it will vary from place to place but a ball park figure?

Lela

#6 Post by Lela »

Lola, my ortho charges $75 each for replacements (have two free replacements to use up first).

I'm more worried about my teeth sitting in a tray of "something" then of the tray staining. So I stick to only water when I have them on.
Luckily I only have to wear my Essix 24/7 for two weeks, nightly wear will be a lot easier to deal with.
Fully braced 9-02-08
Braces off 9-21-09

jenny101101

#7 Post by jenny101101 »

Lela wrote:Lola, my ortho charges $75 each for replacements (have two free replacements to use up first).
Wow, $75 is not bad considering what my ortho charges. It'll cost me $250 per retainer to replace! :shock: Of course, any cost to replace sucks. I thought I'd cracked my lower one last week (felt a ridge along the back) but it was just build up from wearing them all night and once I brushed it, it was gone...phew! :lol:
Keep smilin'! :)
Jenny

Braced for 18 months: Damon 3mx all around with Damon 3's on "social six". Now is Essix retainers for 10 hours/night.

Lela

#8 Post by Lela »

Yikes $250 seems a little steep! Obviously there is a huge range of price for replacements.
I'm hoping they hold up well. My daughters are still in their first set after 18months so that is a good sign.
Fully braced 9-02-08
Braces off 9-21-09