Bonded Retainer Question

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

tinkerbelle216

Bonded Retainer Question

#1 Post by tinkerbelle216 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:33 am

Hi all its been a while since I've posted and I figured I would come back after being away.

my darling boyfriend wore braces early in his childhood and has had them off for some time. He has a lower permanently bonded retainer and I noticed something about it and wanted to know if it was supposed to be like this.

Is the bonded retainer wire supposed to be straight along with the arch at the back of the teeth? I noticed that darling boyfriend's retainer is curved and bent in certain spots and it doesn't look "right" to me. I've seen lots of patients come into the office I work at (I'm a dental assistant) with bonded retainers and they've been straight with the arch and didn't appear the way his does.

Just thought I would run it by you guys.

Thanks

Pixie Dust,

Meredith

Zeppguy73

#2 Post by Zeppguy73 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:28 am

No clue. Unless the ortho felt it necessary to bend the wire in different places to put downards or upwards pressure on certain teeth to prevent motion the other way. Other than that, I would assume that is irregular

Miss Smiley

#3 Post by Miss Smiley » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:43 pm

Mine is kind of bent in certain spots. It just looks like a wire that was bonded with out the mesh pads at the ends.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix